Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 14:05   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Rod Rigging Lifespan

I read a lot of comments about living on borrowed time if your rigging is more than 10-15 years old, and I assume this is for wire rigging. So what is considered the life of rod rigging?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 14:09   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Good question, Don. I've been looking at possible racer/cruiser conversions. Some people I read online said they have not needed to replace their rigging in 20+ years! But when it gives, you don't get any forewarning as you do with wire. Guess that's one reason its not recommended for cruisers.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 14:20   #3
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Our shrouds are rods- you can get them magnafluxed to find incipient cracking- as I'm in fresh water for the next few years I'll probably wait another 5 years or so.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 14:27   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I read a lot of comments about living on borrowed time if your rigging is more than 10-15 years old, and I assume this is for wire rigging. So what is considered the life of rod rigging?
G'Day Don,

From distant memory, I think that Nav Tech folks recommend that their rod rigging be pulled and tested EVERY YEAR. You might have a chat with them and see if my somewhat senile brain has that right. You don't see very many long term cruisers with rod rigging, but as I recall, a lot of Valiant-40's came so equipped, and they did't get dismasted any more often than those of us with wire.

We've chosen to use Die-form (sp?) wire as a reasonable compromise on a high performance rig... so far, so good.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly, Qld, Oz
Old 20-07-2010, 15:11   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Navtec told me they reccomend replacement every 5 years
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:33   #6
Eternal Member

Don...

Your mileage may vary :-)

My boat came with Navtec rod rigging, and I had a rather spectacular failure when the rigging was 15 years old.

The boat had spend 13 of those 15 years in the Chesapeake and the Caribbean -- so, brackish and salt water environment.

Bill Seifert, noted author and boat expert (production manager for Tartan, Alden, etc.) was having a sundowner with me in Tortola one evening, and happened to notice the odd angle of the topmast shroud where it entered the rigging screw. Unfortunately, I was stupid and had routinely taped my rigging....that's a big NO-NO.

Anyway, we took off the tape and found a cracked rigging screw. I replaced the shroud, rigging screw, etc., and a year later replaced all the standing rigging, the chainplates, breastplate, etc.

This photo shows just some of the scary stuff we found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CreviceCorr.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	17874

My advice would be to inspect your rigging carefully and not count on it if it's more than 10 years old and you're going offshore.

PS... after a lot of research I opted for 10mm British steel (1x19 stainless), with hefty rigging screws and beefed up chainplates.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 18:58   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
I did some quick research and it appears Navtec says inspect every 40,000 miles or 6 years, whichever is first. Then to replace the screws every 80,000 miles or 12 years. As far as the rod itself goes for life they don't give an answer and you get the depends story on how it was sized and used.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58   #8

Here is the official word from Navtec regarding rigging life.

Product Notices & White Papers - Navtec Rigging Solutions

We've had rod on all our boats for 30 years and never had a failure (knock on wood). Our current boat has rod and was raced extensively. We asked Offshore Spars to remove, inspect and/or replace the rod in their shop. Options for inspection are die penetrant, magnafluz or x-ray. The rigging came back with a clean bill of health. Considering they built the spar, are authorized fabricators for Navtec, build spars for Swan and many other premium boats I am inclined to believe their word that the rigging is OK even though it is older then 10 years.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:29   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
In my research I couldn't find a good answer. My rigging was about 20 years old and had been reheaded (not exactly sure what that means) at 10 years. I decided to have the rigging replaced. After looking at all the different options I decided to go with rod rigging again. 1) I was 12 hours away from the boat and didn't have time to do the work myself. 2) I was going offshore and didn't want to take any chances, 3) The conversion from rod to wire was going to cost enough money that it wasn't as substantial a savings as I had hoped. and 4) Rod rigging is not as susceptible to crevice corrosion since it is not stranded. I believe this only applies to the rods . The fittings would be the same. On that note I figure I can get ten years off of this then have it reheaded for another ten and then well 20 years is a long time.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 12:10   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Rod Rigging Lifespan

Hi Charlie. I know this is an old thread but you're still with us.

"Reheading" means they cut off the head, the ball at the end of the rod, and then use a machine to reform a new one on it. The rod is now shortened but as long as your turnbuckles have some extra length, or a new extension is fitted, that's no problem.

Crevice corrosion affects all stainless that is kept damp and away from oxygen, so rod rigging (and all the fittings) would be subject to it IF they were kept anoxic, i.e. wrapped tightly in tape. Mainly a problem on fittings, not on the exposed length of the rod.

NavTec are funny folks: They don't answer their own emails. I suspect the bottom line is that rod rigging is like any stainless bit on the boat. Subject to failure from working, load cycling, environmental problems, with "years" really meaning very little. Apparently keeping the heads (balls and sockets) properly lubed so they won't freeze up, and not hiding things under tape, can be major issues.

Then of course the folks who are familiar with rod, who have the special machine to rehead, etc. may be able to command higher labor prices, simply because they've got more invested and there's not as much competition as there is among "guys who can crimp wire cables".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26   #11

Boat: J40

I have a 25 yr old J40 with Navtec rod shrouds. I'm having the mast taken down this winter on Long Island. I'm at a very professional yard. How big a bite should I expect? I guess I should assume they'll end up replacing the rods and fitting
From what you all have said. (also have them look good at the chainplates (eh!)
flopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopresti View Post
(...) (also have them look good at the chainplates (eh!)
Yes. And do check/replace the plates that anchor the rigging in the mast (if you have them). They too need periodic replacement.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01   #13

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Navtec have a PDF about life expectancy and maintenance .

Is something like Level A, between 1 or 2 years , no more than 2 years or 20.000 miles visual inspection.

Level B:every 4 years without exceed 6 years or 60.000 miles. unstep the mast, clean polish rod heads fittings,inspection for cracks, xrays,dye penetrant, etc... rehead the rods and turnbuckle screws replaced.

Level C, not very especific , but i guess is replace the rigging...

So i asume is 10 years life span, or close to that....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

flo-
Possibly eight grand, possibly well less. A lot depends on whether they are pulling stick--which Navtec would recommend after 10 years--and whether they can "re-head" the rods, if needed, or whether they need to be replaced, or can simply be re-used. The yard should be able to give you an estimate up front and tell you what the minimum and worst case would be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging