Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2022, 14:36   #91

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx
Re: Rivets or Machine Screws When Splicing a Mast?

Do a simple test yourself. Take two scrap pieces of aluminum plate and join with a rivet and a machine screw. Run your hand over the back side. Which one is likely to snag your halyard? The one with a sharp point and sharp threads or the one with the button? I have never had a properly sized monel rivet, in a properly drilled hole, fail.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 14:47   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The exterior part could be drilled and countersunk before the inner sleeve is put in, then the sleeve drilled at each hole to the right tapping diameter.

Once you drill and countersink the holes in the mast sections and then put in the sleeve and reassemble, precisely drilling each (slightly smaller) tap-sized hole in the exact center of the existing (slightly larger) clearance hole might be a bit of a challenge.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 14:48   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Electronics/software/networking pro here (so only diy mechanical knowledge) After reading this thread and thinking that machine screws is the way, here is what I know:

Fasteners shown in that picture from the pro are A4-70 grade. This means it is metric and equivalent to 316 stainless steel, but afaik the countersink will be 90 degrees, not 82 or 100 like used for imperial sizes. I think they are 6mm or 8mm… hard to say without a reference. 6mm is like 1/4” and 8mm is 5/16”. With 1/4” thick sleeve I would think 8mm would be great but this is something a mechanical engineer should know immediately.

So it is important that the mast is drilled to a close fit. This means no play in the hole for the fastener. Then the countersink. Make sure you buy the best type to make a smooth cut (or is the workshop doing this?). I use these butmake sure to get the correct angle to match the fastener: https://www.amazon.com/KEO-Cobalt-Si.../dp/B00948QUCG

For tapping you get all kinds of info regarding thread engagement, which is about which drill size to use. Aluminium is different than steel. I would think it’s very important to get this right, or it may lead to loose threading. I use one of those little machinist almanac cheat books to look that up. It will also tell you which torque with threadlocker etc.

On procedure for drilling and tapping it would seem to me that a test fit, alignment, then mark and drill for tap, then disassemble, tap the sleeve and drill the mast for close fit, then countersink the mast. I would use a depth stop to get every countersink right.

On epoxy: our gooseneck and boomvang fittings are all epoxied and bolted to the mast, but the splices are not I think.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 14:49   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Once you drill and countersink the holes in the mast sections and then put in the sleeve and reassemble, precisely drilling each (slightly smaller) tap-sized hole in the exact center of the existing (slightly larger) clearance hole might be a bit of a challenge.
Exactly, but there are special drill bits for that. They work very well, centering the drill in the bigger hole.

Old 15-11-2022, 15:23   #95

Rivets or Machine Screws When Splicing a Mast?

[ATTACH]267534

These work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	267534  
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 15:54   #96

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t feel comfortable just calling someone and using them like that. That guy is in business.
You can just read his website - look at 'mechanical splice assembly': https://ballengerspars.com/guides/6-...y-instructions

He uses screws, apparently.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 16:11   #97

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
[ATTACH]267534

These work great.
Perfect! And kind of funny with your user name. They are kind of like training wheels. For drill bits.

I’ll pass this info along to my metal guy.

Although, it seems like I could save a fortune drilling these out myself. Not really a big deal to do.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 16:56   #98
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Although, it seems like I could save a fortune drilling these out myself. Not really a big deal to do.
Nah. IMO this is not good thing to do unless you are willing to take the rap if the job goes sideways.

If it goes south, there will always be a disagreement as to who caused the problem, the driller or the bolt-er. Tradesman says "I best my best with the holes I was given..." etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 18:51   #99
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The exterior part could be drilled and countersunk before the inner sleeve is put in, then the sleeve drilled at each hole to the right tapping diameter.

Yes, that would do it. Centering the tap holes just requires the right tapered punch (that will self-center).

Centering bits work, but not for a size difference this small. But grinding a punch to the correct taper would take only a few minutes. Or the centering bit might work fine, resting in the countersink taper, which is centered.
Old 15-11-2022, 19:14   #100

I vote for welding
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 20:35   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Nah. IMO this is not good thing to do unless you are willing to take the rap if the job goes sideways.

If it goes south, there will always be a disagreement as to who caused the problem, the driller or the bolt-er. Tradesman says "I best my best with the holes I was given..." etc.

That’s a pretty good point. I guess I will have to just pay for the simple stuff along with the complicated stuff. Just to make sure it comes out as one whole project.
Old 15-11-2022, 20:46   #102

Boat: Island Packet 40

I drilled and countersunk and tapped to fasten a sleeve in my boom and decided that it I was doing another I would drill and tap without countersink and then screw a measured length of thread and it cut off with about 1 mm sticking up and then peen it flush.

I would even consider using largish diameter, threaded, aluminium round bar and glueing it in to seal out water and put more fastenings in to compensate for the lesser strength.
Old 16-11-2022, 01:02   #103

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Electronics/software/networking pro here (so only diy mechanical knowledge) After reading this thread and thinking that machine screws is the way, here is what I know:

Fasteners shown in that picture from the pro are A4-70 grade. This means it is metric and equivalent to 316 stainless steel, but afaik the countersink will be 90 degrees, not 82 or 100 like used for imperial sizes. I think they are 6mm or 8mm… hard to say without a reference. 6mm is like 1/4” and 8mm is 5/16”. With 1/4” thick sleeve I would think 8mm would be great but this is something a mechanical engineer should know immediately.

So it is important that the mast is drilled to a close fit. This means no play in the hole for the fastener. Then the countersink. Make sure you buy the best type to make a smooth cut (or is the workshop doing this?). I use these butmake sure to get the correct angle to match the fastener: https://www.amazon.com/KEO-Cobalt-Si.../dp/B00948QUCG

For tapping you get all kinds of info regarding thread engagement, which is about which drill size to use. Aluminium is different than steel. I would think it’s very important to get this right, or it may lead to loose threading. I use one of those little machinist almanac cheat books to look that up. It will also tell you which torque with threadlocker etc.

On procedure for drilling and tapping it would seem to me that a test fit, alignment, then mark and drill for tap, then disassemble, tap the sleeve and drill the mast for close fit, then countersink the mast. I would use a depth stop to get every countersink right.

On epoxy: our gooseneck and boomvang fittings are all epoxied and bolted to the mast, but the splices are not I think.

I couldn't have explained it better.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 05:01   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I couldn't have explained it better.
Thank you

I spent significant time studying all this, especially the details for practical application and it’s good to hear I got that right

Old 16-11-2022, 05:19   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thank you

I spent significant time studying all this, especially the details for practical application and it’s good to hear I got that right
And thank YOU.

Another good post.

Tags
crew, mast