Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 10:31   #1

Rigging a San Juan 21

Hi all,

I just purchased a San Juan 21 w/ a Swing Keel and I was looking for some information/tips on rigging. I'm not sure how to ask in an organized manner so I'll just list my questions/concerns and hopefully there is some info about them. This is my first boat, so I'm little shaky on my terminology.

The jib: The pulpit on the front of my boat is in the way of the jib, so i can't let it out (luff?) without the pulpit obstructing the the jib. Is there a rope I need to connect the halyard of the jib to the bow so it will reach over the rail?

The traveller/main sheet: I am completely lost when it comes to setting this up. I called around to see if there were any rigging clinics, videos, instructions online to see how to set this up and I can't find anything. Conceptually, I understand the purpose and how it works, but the set-up/lay-out is lost on me. Any tips?

Spreaders: The spreaders will need to be replaced soon, how much should I expect to pay for those and is it complicated?

Swing Keel Boats: Any tips for maintaining these babies that I should be aware of?

There are probably more questions I have, but for now these are my main concerns.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond to this. I am in the PNW, north of Seattle if anybody has information related to that area I should be aware of.

Happy Sailing.
tayex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 10:50   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Rigging a San Juan 21

Ahoy to another 21'-er!

Have you seen these?
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/san-juan-21

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/san-juan-21-2

either of those pages will take you to:

San Juan 21 Class Association

And there there is a resource page.
Old 16-04-2019, 11:31   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Rigging a San Juan 21

As a San Juan owner(7.7) welcome to the forum, and to sailing.
I can't offer any help with the 21 specifically. But look around locally, there are bound to be some around. It is fairly popular racing boat.
Have fun with it!!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, san juan