Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-02-2015, 11:51   #31

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Replace rod rigging or switch to wire?

Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Cones and formers in first place and the wire, but be ware that is a lot of years even for the terminals, i see some old stalock terminals cracked , so a good acid clean out in the terminals and look for suspicious cracks, or weird spots in the terminals....
Crack testing of fittings is easy. Dye penetrant is very reliable for this type of inspection. It can also be done in situ.

Doing this when they are pulled apart is even better. This is a key benefit of reusable fittings over swaged.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 13:02   #32
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm with leftbrainstuff on this one. If Eyr gets his own Sta-Loks, and cones (remember to carry some spare cones), he'll know how each join is made, and that can give you a whole lot of confidence in your rig, plus, down the track, if a wire breaks, he can do a top flight bush repair (if he carries spare wire). Some places, it can take weeks to get the wire in, even if you have the fittings.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 13:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Check out Colligo Marine. They sell all the fittings, end terminals and distributors for synthetic rigging. Once you have all the bits and learn the brummel splice, it's a pleasure to work with..........just something to read up on and consider.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 14:42   #34

Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I'm very surprised by this. The feedback I got from local riggers is that rod is much more expensive than wire, but the fittings make all the difference in costing it out.

So if I want to switch to wire, I need to buy all new fittings which is actually more expensive than just new rods. But from then on in it'll be cheap to replace the wire every so many years.
I was (pleasantly) surprised too. But I am also changing out all turnbuckles and the rod can be threaded to fit. As Neilpride stated, when the rig is down is also a good time to check internal wiring, VHF, tricolor etc. All that will be done. All winches will be given a serious servicing too. I've had the boat for 15 years and expect to keep it a few more. Deferred maintenance on a sailboat usually comes back to haunt when you least want it to. The rig hasn't been out in 10 years so I consider this a worthwhile and needed expense. As the old saying goes "pay me know or pay me later".
bluewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 15:01   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

You can order the rod, heading, and fittings all from P2 Marine 1-800-456-6740 at a very reasonable price. Example: -40 rod is $17.40 per foot. You can also have the rods re-headed and use longer turnbuckles (if needed). I would replace the turnbuckles anyway as they are well past their expected life.

CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: