Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2022, 00:05   #16

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Remove a mast without a crane?

A common method to do this is to use a gin pole (the lifting kind not the lever kind) , an old mast usually does the job, it has a 4:1 block and tackle at the head that attached to a loop that slides up the mast to the upper hounds. The gin pole is secured with 3 dyneema stays attached to the boats shroud plates and deck mounted some where at a hard point, like anchor windlass etc. You can use the spinnaker halyard to raise it. Tighten the dyneema lines so that the tip of the pole is above the deck hole for the mast and hoist it up.

https://i.imgur.com/V1aSfTo.jpg
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 04:12   #17

Boat: Hunter 340

I like Sanibel Sailor's idea of doing the Tik Tok video to pay for a new mast. The only catch being, Tic Tock is Chinese owned.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 04:31   #18

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

We use another mast on my catalina 27, it is deck stepped but maybe suggests some ideas
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_103148.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	267765
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 10:56   #19

Boat: Hirondelle 23 catamaran 1994

Some answers: There is no rigging spreaders etc, the aero-rig mast is unstayed and it tapers quite a bit at the top. It can bend way off (reportedly 4 feet in a big storm gust) this is supposed to be a safety feature since it spills the wind instead of capsizing the boat. Very bendy, think 'fishing rod'. Note that less weight aloft is a big plus for this job.

I think skipperpeete (post #9) has a great idea with a 'tripod' of three rental 16 ft ladders surrounding the mast, some ratcheting straps might secure them nicely at the top, foam collars (pool noodles) can prevent scratches. I can practice the attachment system on my patio and lift a trial 150lb weight to check stability. Using a pulley attached to the top of the ladders would make it much easier to stabilize it and pull the mast 4 feet up and onto the cabin-top. Maybe combine the ladder tripod with the bucket truck idea in order to lower the mast without breaking it (or anyone's skull).

I recognize that this job is probably just at the edge of 'muscle power'; hence the bucket, if needed. I can rent a small one mounted on a trailer.

Thanks for all the input, great comments. I will take pics and post, if I decide to proceed in this manner.
hirondeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 11:38   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Hirondellor, I used a trailer style man-lift building my 24 ft tall tower and with the outriggers out would comfortable support my weight at a 45 degree angle. I suspect your beam is <14 ft so you only need to be reaching over 8 ft or so, probably 15 ft up ( accounting for the taper/ less mass closer to the top). you could still use 1 or 2 to help lift initially. I think this is completely doable. I suspect a bucket truck would work as well if not better but I suspect the liability issue would complicate matters.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 11:44   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There is a way to tie a loop around a tapered mast.

You need a loop, with a long free end (tail).

Set up your A-frame....or Gin Pole....much the same thing.

As before, a pulley and line at the peak.
Feed out enough line so that you can tie a loop around the mast, ensure you have sufficient "tail" left to tie to a cleat, winch, etc, neat the bottom of the mast..this will lock the " loop" in place. Pull this loop up to within 6' or whatever is required to pull it free of the deck from the peak of the A-frame/Gin pole. Once in position, use the remain tail to tie of above mentioned cleat, etc. This will lock the loop in place.

Raise and then lower the mast as before.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 13:10   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Personally I think tintin had the right idea. That being said this has all the makings of “here honey hold my beer and watch this” moment in the making. If the boat isn’t too hard to move then move it close to a tall structure ( even a two story house ) and use the structure to assist.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 13:53   #23

Boat: adams 35

You can lower the centre of gravity of the mast by adding a weight, a couple of sandbags or similar to the bottom where it comes out of the deck. This will enable you to use a slightly shorter A frame or tripod and make it less likely to flip as it comes out of the deck.
It will be much safer if the bottom half is heavier than the top half

Once out but still vertical you can reduce the weight to make it easier to lower horizontally.
All simple and very doable so long as you think out each stage before you do it. A small model made with a few bits of dowel will enable you to go through it if you are in any doubt.

Used to do lots of this stuff as a kid in the sixties.........if in doubt, ask a boy scout !
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 15:40   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

sigh...where is superman when you need him most...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 18:45   #25

Boat: Looking

A frame for sure. That's probably my only option. I'm buying an Alberg 30 with shot rigging and no place around to unstep the mast. Probably to unsafe to motor very far as well.

Old 25-11-2022, 06:29   #26

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
A frame for sure. That's probably my only option. I'm buying an Alberg 30 with shot rigging and no place around to unstep the mast. Probably to unsafe to motor very far as well.

The is THE way! Did this on an islander 24, even with 3 strong friends it was not exactly easy, without the a frame... Impossible...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 06:46   #27
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

A crane is not necessary. Marinas use a cherry picker or bucket truck for the job.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 09:53   #28

Not a problem if you have enough hands to steady the masthead and base. The worst part of yours is it has to come up past the deck before removing off the boat. Figure some way to steady the base while lifting and it should be doable. Otherwise, sign companies also have boom trucks without buckets to do this stuff. I've used a large forklift with extended forks and a jib crane mounted on a travel lift for larger masts.

I just saw you are in Florida. My son in law has a small boom truck just to do boat projects. He flips boats and travels the west coast but is based just south of West Palm. Last I talked to him the truck was being loaned to a friend for hurricane work. I will follow up with you on pm.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 13:42   #29

Seriously doubt you can lift it straight up 6 feet without it falling over. Please provide video
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 17:14   #30

Boat: Grampian 26

I doubt a CF mast that size weights 100#s, I have a 30' aluminum mast in my hayfield with furler attached and I can put it on my shoulder and I'm not a big, young man. Irrelevant. It's the leverage and swing that will cause you grief, very quickly.

A utility material handling bucket can do this easily and safely, I manage a small municipal utility in NS and we could do it no problem. FL & P probably has 2000 of them, bigger than ours. Not an arborist truck they are for reach not lifting, altho' a 100#s is trivial, they don't usually have gins and winches.

Look for line construction contractors in your area, they all have them as well, and I'm sure there are many where you are.

I could write a procedure but I'm sure whomever you engage knows as much as I do.

Best of luck, fair winds.
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast