Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 15:47   #1

Boat: Pearson 33
Reefing Lines in the Boom

I am trying to run the lines in and thru the boom to my reefing points on my mail sail.
I have found two pullies that had been run with the lines in the boom.
(see picture of the pullies in the boom)
I am needing the diagram of how these lines should be connected with the pullies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson 33 Boom 002.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	12686  
alexharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 00:26   #2

Boat: Swan 56
The blocks (pullies) are more likely to be for your outhaul and nothing to do with your reefing.

The blocks stay inside the boom, one end connects to the clew of the sail, the other end exits the boom near the mast. The blocks are so that you can pull the outhaul by hand.

The reefing lines would not use such a system - they would be a single line
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 01:48   #3

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I'm not clear from the picture but it looks as if you have a selden boom (which is what we have/. If so then contact Selden. They have different branches but in the UK their site is Seldén dinghy, keelboat & carbon spars. if it's not a selden then it would still be easiest, fastest and most reliable to see if you can track down the manufacturer.

It can be extremely tricky to thread the in-boom reefing lines if they're not attached or moused. We lost one of ours inside the boom once and it was one b---d of a job to rescue it. Now we are extremely careful with the mouse-lines.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 03:06   #4

Take the end fitting off the boom. Pull out the works and lay it out on a flat surface. One block floats free and is attached to your wire outhaul. The other block may be secured somewhere in the boom to anchor the purchase or it may be a floating 2 to 1 purchase where the other end of the line exiting the boom is secured.

Good luck.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 04:54   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
I assume this is "single" line reefing with 2 lines in the boom as the picture looks same as mine. It's earliest to do the line with the pulley out of the boom to be reinstalled fromthe aft end.

On the aft end of the pulley toward the stern: one end on the reef line ties to boom end cap (my cap has a hole that it threads thur and there the line is knoted) them thur the pulley back to the end cap, thur the roller on the end cap, up to the the reef eye in the sail and then back to the boom and is tied around it (I tie mine to the reed )eye.

The forward ties off to the boom or mast, thur the boom to the pulley, back to the mast under the roller turning up, up thur the reef eye, back down to a roller at the bottom of the mast and then to the cockpit or where ever the rfeefing is done from.

I found that on mast end it was easiler to take the rollers out of the slots to run the line and then reinstall. This sounds easlier than it was. When the sail is up the pulley in the boom should be toward the aft end so that it tightens toward forwad when you reef. When I had to do mine last year I think I just did a general internet search on "single line reefing" till I found a diagram.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote