Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 14:04   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 72
Oyster 56 standing rigging replacement

Hello all

I am in the process of buying a 10 year old Oyster 56 and would like to renew the standing rigging and probably also strip and repaint the mast. I am planning a circumnavigation starting later this year and would rather be safe than sorry.

I wondered whether anyone might have any recommendations for yards / riggers to do this work, either on the south coast of the UK or in the Canaries? Also, does anyone know how much this work should cost? If you have recently had something similar done to an Oyster 56, I would be really grateful for any information or tips you might be willing to share.

Many thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 14:28   #2
cruiser

Re: Oyster 56 standing rigging replacement

I priced ours last year. Oyster offers the replacement rigging pre cut and ready to install direct from their rigger. The price was less than what I would have thought and less than a couple of guys I know paid to have it done in the U.S.

Give Oyster service a call.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 09:25   #3

We just had our standing rigging done on our 12 year old 56' Oyster. My wife did a video of the whole refit... Check out What happens when a boat undergoes a refit? - Sailing Britican We are in the Ionian but know a great company in Southampton. Have you been in touch with Stella Maris yet?
Si Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 10:05   #4

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I've now had a few quotes and it seems that the answer is - a lot! About £12,000 + vat for the full standing rigging replacement. Simon - we may see you on the ARC this year, assuming that you are doing the main ARC rather than the ARC+. I would be very grateful if you'd let me pick your brains re: what I've got myself into with this boat...

Old 21-06-2015, 10:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I've now had a few quotes and it seems that the answer is - a lot! About £12,000 + vat for the full standing rigging replacement. Simon - we may see you on the ARC this year, assuming that you are doing the main ARC rather than the ARC+. I would be very grateful if you'd let me pick your brains re: what I've got myself into with this boat...
A lot depends on whether you reuse the Sta Loks or not -- they are generally ok to go longer than the wire.

I rerigged a similar size boat two years ago on the S Coast and initially got a quote like yours. I got it down to about ten grand with VAT eventually, but I don't recommend the riggers I used -- the legendary Spencers in Cowes, who were disappointing in the event. That did not include pulling the mast or replacing the Sta Lok terminals, but it included all new Dyneema halyards.

You probably do not have your mast down very often, so be sure to think through all the things you can do with it down. I would especially recommend replacing VHF antenna and coax with really good, low loss cable (I used RG213), because this goes off eventually and is almost impossible to replace with the mast up.

I also took the opportunity to run N2K cable to the masthead for a modern wind instrument (Maretron WSO100) -- another thing which is almost impossible with the mast up, on a boat this size.

Be sure also to get your furlers inspected and serviced.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 12:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A lot depends on whether you reuse the Sta Loks or not -- they are generally ok to go longer than the wire.

I rerigged a similar size boat two years ago on the S Coast and initially got a quote like yours. I got it down to about ten grand with VAT eventually, but I don't recommend the riggers I used -- the legendary Spencers in Cowes, who were disappointing in the event. That did not include pulling the mast or replacing the Sta Lok terminals, but it included all new Dyneema halyards.

You probably do not have your mast down very often, so be sure to think through all the things you can do with it down. I would especially recommend replacing VHF antenna and coax with really good, low loss cable (I used RG213), because this goes off eventually and is almost impossible to replace with the mast up.

I also took the opportunity to run N2K cable to the masthead for a modern wind instrument (Maretron WSO100) -- another thing which is almost impossible with the mast up, on a boat this size.

Be sure also to get your furlers inspected and serviced.

Thanks for the advice Dockhead. That price is for all wire to be replaced in Dyform and all new chromed bronze swaged terminals and included unstepping and re stepping the mast. I will look at replacing the mast wiring as well as you suggest.
Have you had good experience with your WSO100? Would you recommend using that rather than the standard Raymarine wind sensor?

Tom

Tags
men, oyster, rigging