Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:14   #1

Lewmar 43 drill pattern

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here have a schematic or pattern for the older Lewmar 43 2 speed standard winches?

We came by a pair of them on the cheap and I need to have a fabricator make an adapter from going from one winch to the other but I could not find this pattern online.

If not I'll have to get out the protractor and I am not a good draftsman!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Lewmar 43 drill pattern

What are you adapting from, and to. I replaced my secondary Gibbs with Lewmar 44 bronze STs, and just used the winch to mark the different bolt spacing positions.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
What are you adapting from, and to. I replaced my secondary Gibbs with Lewmar 44 bronze STs, and just used the winch to mark the different bolt spacing positions.
Going from a very old Barient #20 which has a six bolt pattern to the Lewmar 43 which has a five bolt pattern. The Lewmar is also quite a bit bigger in winch base OD.

The jib winchs on our boat are mounted on metal brackets that are bolted through the hull, not on wood or fiberglass. This means I must have an adapter "plate" to bolt down on the winch base using the old pattern, but also be able to bolt the new winch to it.

The fabricator can make this, but I have to send him a drawing so he knows where to put the holes. I guess the alternative is to ship him the winch, but if someone has the drawing it would save some time and money.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Ah !--I see. Blue also has the cast bronze bases fro coaming to deck, but mine were big enough to take the transition. Guess you have researched the Lewmar site . Lots of info there. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:54   #5

Quote:
Ah !--I see. Blue also has the cast bronze bases fro coaming to deck, but mine were big enough to take the transition. Guess you have researched the Lewmar site . Lots of info there.
Yes, I did search the Lewmar site and documents, in fact I've scoured the internet for this info and it doesn't seem to be readily searchable if it is out there.

Quote:
Good luck with your search.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 09-05-2014, 14:06   #6

Well I broke down and sketched it out myself after a Lewmar rep told me they no longer kept the templates for this pre 1982 winch. In case anyone in the future stumbles upon this thread wondering what the measurements are, this is the best I can come up with.

The OD of the base is 6.25". There are five M8 holes with centers 6.5cm from the center of the base. The hole centers are spaced at 60 degrees.

Tags
lewmar