Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 11:34   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Lazy Sheet as Barber Hauler?

Ive used lazy sheet as barbhauler on boats that did not have a barbhauler already made up.

On my cat I sometimes use it as a guy when wing on wing too. Working sheet to the winch as normal. Lazy sheet to block on bow...serves a similar function to a whisker pole just not quite as positive control.

The down side of course to either use is if you suddenly need to tack.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:47   #17

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

My, non-performance boat does not really need an in-haul except while motor-sailing.

Here I am playing around with the Lazy sheet as an in-haul (no need to re-rig).

Note the sheeting inboard of shroud (not normal), and ability to tie off the sheet/sheet leads anywhere along the hand rail or the inboard location.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:56   #18

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'

Very interesting discussion here.
Mostly, I sail alone on my pocket cruiser, 1971 Havsfidra Fisksatra. I have a hard time trimming my 110% jib with the tracks and blocks that I have on my pocket cruiser and was thinking of moving the tracks outboard. But that makes trimming for upwind more difficult. And the barber hauler idea has interested me. Looking at the retail price of gear (cheek block) to configure one discouraged me.
Wcapital, would you share a diagram of what you described with me? And any tips for constructing it?
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:00   #19

Boat: Presto 36

I usually use a old boom vang as my barberhauler.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38   #20

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolily View Post
Looking at the retail price of gear (cheek block) to configure one discouraged me.
Wcapital, would you share a diagram of what you described with me? And any tips for constructing it?
I meant snatch block not cheek block.
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 13:22   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm sure I was just unclear.

Typically when the lead moves outboard (for reaching, for example) it must also move forward or the top twists off crazy. The correlate is that when you pull the lead in, you must move the lead aft, or the top hooks in. Reaching leads are generally quite a few feet forward of beating leads.

If you are only hauling it in a few inches or a foot, it probably does not matter much. It also depends on the sail; blades are far more sensitive to fore-aft lead position than yankees.
Yes, we can agree on that.

Except that with my set up (like on many racing boats), there is no "fore-aft" position of the sheet lead -- it's "up-down". Like tracks which move the sheet lead forward and aft, this changes the angle at which the sheet meets the sail -- so it controls proportional tension between leech and foot. Yes -- the angle needs to be more acute when the sail is sheeted loosely, or the leech will not have enough tension in relation to the foot, and the head will twist off.

Inboard-outboard adjustment of the sheet lead has a completely different purpose -- to change the angle of attack of the sail. So this is like the main traveler. Downwind the clew needs to come out; upwind it needs to come in.

Incidentally, the owner of KM Yachts in Makkum, whom I visited last year (the make "Bestevaers"), swears by jib booms, and had a massive fabricated aluminum one on his own boat. Total and direct control over angle of attack, and you can even feather the jib. I've never tried such a setup, but it makes sense to me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:26   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolily View Post
Very interesting discussion here.
Mostly, I sail alone on my pocket cruiser, 1971 Havsfidra Fisksatra. I have a hard time trimming my 110% jib with the tracks and blocks that I have on my pocket cruiser and was thinking of moving the tracks outboard. But that makes trimming for upwind more difficult. And the barber hauler idea has interested me. Looking at the retail price of gear (cheek block) to configure one discouraged me.
Seems like he is talking about a Handy Billy.

Ad hoc barber haul is only one of a multitude of uses for them. I've said it before and I'll say it again: every boat should have one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HandyBilly2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	153274  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote