Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 10:59   #91

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: HR shackles can explode

Yes, lots of options, but the Ino-Ending block sure is elegant
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:38   #92
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Another one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E06C0419-7B3F-43ED-8C5E-9652C66BBE8F.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	203087  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:49   #93

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
But I do have a clew and I haul it in with my winch

I was wrong because I thought from my cockpit using my electric winches. My Lewmar 66 pulls in more sheet per second than my 54 but it stalls out at the same weight. With the winch handle, the 66 has a noticeable higher power ratio.
Forgiven, Jedi! (the acerbity of my post was caused by disappointment because I had you down as a very experienced operator )
Old 13-11-2019, 12:20   #94
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Forgiven, Jedi! (the acerbity of my post was caused by disappointment because I had you down as a very experienced operator )
Nah, am of the push-the-button kind
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:54   #95

Boat: Outremer 55L

Just received 4x Enhanced Static Lashing Blocks from Colligo for use with 9-11 mm line and safe working load 15,000 lbs/6803kg. The diameter of the rope channel looks about 75mm, same as the sheave of the block I’m replacing (which has a SWL of 2200kg). The usage will be a 2:1 purchase system for our running backstays. Loaded travel is about 15cm of line, using the maximum power available on a Harken 53 winch and 30cm/10in handle.

Here are photos of the ESLB and a Harken 75 Black Magic Air Block.

Name:	IMG_1760.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	203291

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	203292

Here’s the lashing I plan to use for trial 1: 5mm SK78 Dyneema with breaking strength 2800kg so x4 strands 11,200kg so say SWL 5,600kg. If the four strands are too grippy then for trial 2 I’ll try 8mm Dyneema.

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	203293

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	203294

Not sure whether it will be necessary for the ESLB to rotate under load (like the Ino-Rope and Ropeye examples) or to remain static as Colligo suggests. Stay tuned!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 22:03   #96

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
One key feature of correctly sized rigging is that it doesn't break.
I’d agree with this man

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 22:05   #97

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Just received 4x Enhanced Static Lashing Blocks from Colligo for use with 9-11 mm line and safe working load 15,000 lbs/6803kg. The diameter of the rope channel looks about 75mm, same as the sheave of the block I’m replacing (which has a SWL of 2200kg). The usage will be a 2:1 purchase system for our running backstays. Loaded travel is about 15cm of line, using the maximum power available on a Harken 53 winch and 30cm/10in handle.

Here are photos of the ESLB and a Harken 75 Black Magic Air Block.

Not sure whether it will be necessary for the ESLB to rotate under load (like the Ino-Rope and Ropeye examples) or to remain static as Colligo suggests. Stay tuned!
Nice! How much were they in nz, if you don’t mind me asking?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 22:14   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Nice! How much were they in nz, if you don’t mind me asking?

Bought them direct from Colligo’s shop. Total with shipping was USD 228.00. Paid with a USD credit card so not sure the NZD cost, but about $360.00. A third of the cost of Harken 100 blocks, or 3/4 of the cost of the Antal 100 blocks in NZ. Plus another NZD100 to make up six loops if the 5mm quads don’t work out.
Old 17-11-2019, 22:23   #99

I bet they’d be twice that if you could buy them at the local chandlers...
Old 17-11-2019, 22:43   #100

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Just received 4x Enhanced Static Lashing Blocks from Colligo for use with 9-11 mm line and safe working load 15,000 lbs/6803kg.
Nice looking forward to seeing how they work out.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 23:23   #101

I like the idea of using something like that at the base of the mast too...
Old 18-11-2019, 02:15   #102

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:

I don't think the lashing lines are there to prevent the ring from rotating- even though they do- they are there to prevent the working line from jumping and ending up with a rope on rope situation. But maybe the Colligo's deeper groove prevents that anyway. I'd just keep an eye on that possibility each time you set the runners for the first few months and see if the ring ever kicks sideways. We experienced this on a boom vang tackle when trying to run a normal low friction ring just like your new set-up (but with lower groove than the Colligo).

Matt
Old 18-11-2019, 06:51   #103

Quote:

Here’s the lashing I plan to use for trial 1: 5mm SK78 Dyneema with breaking strength 2800kg so x4 strands 11,200kg so say SWL 5,600kg.
JFYI .... that not actually how you calculate the BS for this sling (or lashing) configuration.

There are actually 8 legs holding the load (4 each side) - this is called a “basket configuration” sling (although the typical basket has only one or two legs per side). So your staring point is 8 x 2800kgs.

But in any multi-strand loading, especially with high modulus line, you have uneven loading between strands. This decreases strength because you are not sharing the load between all 8 legs evenly. How much it decreases strength depends on the number of legs and the frictional conditions on the rope and hardware. But in this case, with slippery rope and smooth hardware and 8 legs, like 30% reduction.

And then you have a strength reduction factor in the connection point which closes your lashing. If that is a proper full tapered bury the reduction is near zero, while if it is a knot you essentially cut the whole system strength by 40%.

Bottom line - it is probably stronger than you estimated, but it depends on how you do the termination.

And yea, the primary purpose of the edge ties on the Colligo ring is to prevent it from capsizing (and the rope coming out of the groove).
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 14:12   #104

HR shackles can explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
JFYI .... that not actually how you calculate the BS for this sling (or lashing) configuration.

There are actually 8 legs holding the load (4 each side) - this is called a “basket configuration” sling (although the typical basket has only one or two legs per side). So your staring point is 8 x 2800kgs.

But in any multi-strand loading, especially with high modulus line, you have uneven loading between strands. This decreases strength because you are not sharing the load between all 8 legs evenly. How much it decreases strength depends on the number of legs and the frictional conditions on the rope and hardware. But in this case, with slippery rope and smooth hardware and 8 legs, like 30% reduction.

And then you have a strength reduction factor in the connection point which closes your lashing. If that is a proper full tapered bury the reduction is near zero, while if it is a knot you essentially cut the whole system strength by 40%.

Bottom line - it is probably stronger than you estimated, but it depends on how you do the termination.

And yea, the primary purpose of the edge ties on the Colligo ring is to prevent it from capsizing (and the rope coming out of the groove).

I use end for end spliced loops for lashings so no knots. Start with a locked Brummel at the centre of the splice and turn the tails 180 degrees and bury in the direction they came from. Adds a lump to the line and a local hard spot, but according to several experts no loss in strength vs a simple bury end for end splice. And no coming undone under no load and no need for lock stitching.

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	203336

The loop starts over 340mm in length (I think a minimum size is to allow the two tails to not overlap, but I suppose they could overlap for a shorter loop). I use 60x diameter bury with 1/4 of that the taper.

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	203337

Twist once to create a figure 8. If four strands are enough then you don’t need to do this nor the next step.

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	203338

Fold over once to create a double loop.

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	203339

Finally half fold the double loop to create the basket. The loop ends go through a pin or shackle, while the middle bends go around the LFR as I pictured earlier this thread.

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	203340

Progressive loading the first time allows the strands to equalise (same as for a soft shackle and other 12 strand splicing activities).

Will have to see if the ESLBs can be static while tensioning the 2:1 purchase for the running backstay. Keeping them static is simpler and can use the perimeter holes for lashings to keep the line from jumping out of the ‘sheave’.

If without rotation there’s too much friction on the line and if the loop lashings hold the ESLB too firmly then I’ll add a grooved plate of 5mm thick HDPE to spread the loop lashings (similar to the Ropeye H-block). There will also be a spliced eye of the standing end of the line that may need spreading too.

However, if the ESLB rotates then cannot use the perimeter holes for lashings. Will have to experiment. If jumping out is a problem then hopefully the spreader plate will be enough. If not then side plates will be needed, which starts becoming a bit of a PITA but still much cheaper than buying completed soft axle blocks from Ino-Rope or Ropeye or similar.

I should be able to install and test later this week and will post results.
Old 18-11-2019, 17:28   #105

just FYI, just for your interest ....

Quote:
Start with a locked Brummel at the centre of the splice

A locked Brummel reduces strength by 10% vs no Brummel.

and turn the tails 180 degrees

Hmmmm .... a 180 degree turn within a rope diameter - that seems like it would be a quite sharp bend, which would create a meaningful strength reduction - I would have guessed a “knot level reduction”, but it is something I have never personally tested so idk for sure.

no need for lock stitching.

Lock stitching is pretty easy and creates less strength loss than Brummel. But I guess some people just don’t find stitching to be esthetic. It is pretty much standard to stitch all serious commercial splices.

If I were doing this I would just do a very simple long bury end to end splice with proper stitching - that will certainty be easier, test stronger, and not ever slip.In my extensive test series on options to capture rings this simple approach was by far the strongest.

It would be interesting to break test the full assembly, and see what goes first.. I have tested various size Antal and harken rings with various strops, but not colligo’s.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote