Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should I bind the shrouds to stop vertical movement through spreaders?
Wrap the shrouds, tightly, to the spreaders, with wire, to stop vertical movement 12 52.17%
Let the shrouds slide up and down, through the spreaders. 5 21.74%
Use spreader boots, and cinch the ends tightly where the shrouds pass through, to create some friction. 3 13.04%
Other 3 13.04%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 00:53   #31

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: How important is binding shrouds to spreaders, so spreaders don't slide up and do

If you can move the spreader by hand it is one of the two possibilities:
1. Not enough tension.
2. Spreader already moved out of position

To check/correct the wire tension the spreader MUST be in proper position.
Sailing with free spreaders is inviting disaster. You will lose your mast.
Old 22-09-2019, 03:25   #32

Re: How important is binding shrouds to spreaders, so spreaders don't slide up and do

I expect that the reason most spar builders have moved to the horizontal spreader fittings is that it “looks right” to those who don’t know better. It’s easier to bind the spreader tips than argue with a customer. With today’s tall rigs and narrow sheeting angles the out of column force on a horizontal spreader is small anyways.

Even most riggers today don’t know how to set a spreader at a proper angle. I had one try to convince me that my twin spreaders at different angles was a serious problem.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 04:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I expect that the reason most spar builders have moved to the horizontal spreader fittings is that it “looks right” to those who don’t know better. It’s easier to bind the spreader tips than argue with a customer. With today’s tall rigs and narrow sheeting angles the out of column force on a horizontal spreader .....
The spreaders should be immobilized even if set at proper angle and correct tension.
When you sail, the rig is 'alive' and it is relatively easy for the spreaders to move. Even best tensioned rig will allow the mast to bend sideways and aft, changing the tension of the shrouds. Add to that some wave slamming and you will find the spreaders move.
Old 27-09-2019, 08:08   #34

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Hi, definitely get a Loos gauge, I love it - it gives me confidence that I have proper support for the rig before we go out. I use it when we step the mast, and routinely about monthly during the season or if feeling the stays suggests one might be loose. One nice thing is that it can reveal a problem before there's a break - I had to replace the end of one of the shrouds that got bent somehow this year, that I discovered because the tension at the dock was different than the others, so I took a closer look than usual.

Also, check with the manufacturer, I have an old Rhodes 22 Continental that is now made by General Boats in NC, and they let me know what the right tension on the shrouds and stays should be. FYI, my back stays are also adjustable, and I usually don't mess with it (although a long downwind tempts me to loosen it a little), but if I do it is helpful to put it back where it was as that keeps the big genoa nice and tight so it furls properly. And LOL, since I always attract wind from the direction we are trying to go, we don't end up running very often.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 09:18   #35

Before you buy or loan Loos gauge, check if the gauge is sized properly to your wires. As far as I remember there are different tools for different sizes.

Tags
import, shroud