Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 10:15   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Main resting against spreaders and shrouds when eased all the way out - problem for c

When we go downwind and ease the main all the way out, parts of the sail are “resting” against the spreaders and the shrouds.

I say resting because it isn’t necessarily rubbing, but if I look up at the sail I can see the impression of the spreaders and shrouds changing the shape of the sail.

We are on a Moody 376 which has spreaders that run perpendicular to the centre line of the boat, so I know that compared to some other boats that have swept back spreaders, we have less of an issue

Nevertheless, what’s the deal with potential chafing of the sail in this situation? Is it better to haul in until there is no contact? Or is it not too much of an issue?

Cheers
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 10:23   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Main resting against spreaders and shrouds when eased all the way out - problem f

For offshore cruising I would put baggywinkle up on the shrouds
OR
A roller on the shrouds at each spreader tip and adhesive sail repair patches over both sides of the sail at all chaffe points.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 10:39   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Main resting against spreaders and shrouds when eased all the way out - problem f

I have swept back spreaders and routinely put the main them. My main even has extra wear patches at this contact points. The sail is now 17 y ars and it never has needed any repair to thos areas or the patches a contact the spreaders.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:16   #4

Boat: SOLD

Yoo can aviod that by lowering the boom with the boomvang, flattening the main.
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:02   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Adding chafe patches to the sail, regardless of whatever else you do. Because adding sacrificial patches is always cheaper than suddenly finding you need sail repairs. Either self-adhesive, or just sailcloth and a urethane glue (aqualseal, goop, etc.) as long as you rinse off any salt and dirt and let the main dry off first.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:22   #6

Boat: Moody 376

Thanks for advice. I think patches is the way to go. Will try playing around with the vang to see if that works.
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy View Post
Thanks for advice. I think patches is the way to go. Will try playing around with the vang to see if that works.

I used to sail DDW for the last six miles to get back to my slip on Alameda down the Oakland Estuary for 18 years. Before that 13 years with a C25.

Vang, vang, vang and don't let the main out so much it touches.

I never bothered with patches, the sail is 32 years old and still OK in that regard. Patches wouldn't hurt.

Good question, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:06   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

The other advantage of a vang besides reducing the belly of the sail, especially a vang to the rail, is the boom and the sail don't move up and down constantly.
That's where most of the chafing comes from.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The vang will reduce the twist in the sail and flatten it out. It probably won't allow you to put the main all the way out though. If I don't want the main to rub on the aft lower shroud on my Pearson 35 can only sheet it out to about a 60%-70% angle boom angle. A bit frustrating when I'd like to have it all the way out going DDW but would rather the save the sail. Could put on patches or baggy wrinkle but the're kind of ughly so just live with the restriction. Boats without an aft lower shroud won't have much of an issue.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 21:21   #10

Boat: SOLD

What you can add to the use of the boomvang is to wrap your spreaders with leather, avoiding chafe without adding patches
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 11:41   #11

Boat: no boat any more

sailed umpteen thousands of miles with main against spreaders (3 tradewind-rtws):
1. vang down as hard as possible,additional "handy billy" to toerail, avoid the slightest movement of boom or sail at all costs
2. split hose on spreader's rear edge
3. chafe patches where seams lie against spreader
Old 28-05-2018, 17:20   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

A cruiser with hundreds of thousands of NM more experience than me told me that that's how he does it: Cruising Shute high and well off the mast, and main baggy and resting on spreaders. Don't recall if he had protection on sail/spreader of the Bavaria that he and his family have lived on for a dozen or so years, but I'd assume so.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

From a sailmakers perspective, if your doing long distance you are better of wrapping your spreader tips well and making sure the back edge of the spreaders are well rounded - or glue some rubber channel on.

Because if its going to chafe though the sail its sure as anything going to chafe though any light adhesive sailcloth patch material. And are you going to put multiple patches on for all the chafe points at 3 reefing positions?

Racing sails are a different matter as laminates are a lot more prone to chafe so the adhesive patches are needed.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud