Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 16:32   #1

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
halyard block location for asym

Hi all.

Hadda question for the hive mind about rigging an asymmetrical spinnaker on a 53' Skookum cutter-rigged ketch. Mast is deck-stepped 58'-tall boxed Dougfir, 5 3/8" X 8 1/4". Aware of mast "cranes" but prefer not to go that route (for variety of reasons).

Crux of the biscuit: placement of asym halyard block and mounting hardware. No bowsprit, rollerfurler headsail acts as forestay, connected directly at *highest point* on mastcap and, at low end, maximally fwd at anchor pulpit, i.e. no room to add another block *above* forestay w/o removing/altering mastcap/headsail and all associated comms/lights/etc. (One of reason a crane is prolly a no-go.).

That said: Tho I realize it's "wrong" (it's a commercial fishboat, so must confess there's a lotta jack-leg solutioning already baked into the cake), was thinking of positioning the asym halyard block *below* headsail-furler/forestay but well *above* staysail mastmount, so: when dousing onna jibe, close the bag on asym, walk the tamed tyrant thru "foretriangle" (not sure am using proper parlance, but i.e. route asym *between* forestay/headsaifurler and stayssailfurler) and open er up when ready on opposite side. Course, tack mount/block must be centered-aft of forestay in this scenario, but already lotta deck options for this.

That work?

Such, fwiw, is my thinking, subject to (potentially!) animated correction. Course, open to correction, alternate ideas, caveats, etc. (What I don't know is legion!) Any insights/advice would be much appreciated. Tx. for any input.
Albee rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard