Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2016, 21:40   #1

Furler Foil Lock

So we installed a new furler (Harken MKIV Unit 1) on our 1983 Catalina 30 last weekend. Unfortunately the top foil that we cut to fit was just an inch too long such that the notches for the bottom foil clamp are just below the foil clamp (the notches are show on pg 22 of the manual). We can tighten down the foil clamp and the foil assembly does stay in place but it's obviously not as secure as I would be clamped into the notches. I haven't called Harken yet but I'm pretty sure they going to say to take it down and shave and inch or two off so that it aligns. So any tips on getting the thing back down (it was a bear to get up on a narrow dock with the stick up)? And has anyone had the same issue where they didn't clamp on the notches and have been running the rig that way for a while? The lower fitting for the forestay is mechanical so if the foil falls on top of it there would be a risk of rigging failure - probably regardless of the amount of Loctite that I use. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:14   #2

Boat: S & S 43'
Re: Furler Foil Lock

Is the drum of your unit the turnbuckle body?
Can you undo the turnbuckle, thus raking the mast back?
Or, maybe if you unscrew the top thread an inch (that's the stud) and screw in the bottom thread (that's the toggle) you will have a longer wire without changing overall stay length. I think the threads are different so you may do 18 turns for the stud, if you have a 5/8" thread, but only 16 on the toggle.
Not sure if that will work but I am sure I will be corrected if there is someone out there with a Harken furler. Be carefull to leave enough threads of the stud screwed in. Good luck
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:33   #3

Boat: Crewing on a maxi cat
Re: Furler Foil Lock

One other simple answer is to go aloft & shorten the foil with the stay in place. You'd need to remove the cut off section in pieces, but that's easy to make happen. And avoid the temptation to use a Dremel for this. It'd be way to easy to goof. Thus creating a lot more work, possibly to include needing to start over, after fixing the rig/stay/foil.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

furler, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: