Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 05:00   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Bowsprit Scantlings Calculations

I'm looking for where to find information from which the scantlings of bowsprits can be calculated. Meaning figuring out how big their cross section needs to. The primary reason being that I'm curious how a sprit's cross section increases if you (desire to) add length to a sprit. On keel boats, particularly. Specifically, on pilot cutter style designs, such as; Westsail's, Rafikis, Tayana's & similar boats. So ones stayed only in the vertical plane/orientation, mostly types built without strikers.

Being able to figure out how much thicker a sprit would need to be based on increasing it's length by X% would be ideal. Though I'm guessing that to more accurately calculate such things one needs much of the boats numbers for righting moment, & similar, which are typically used to figure out rig scantlings.

Does such lengthening perhaps have to do with the formula for stiffness, thus making it a cubed function? Or perhaps it's to the 4th, as are spar calc's? Though how these formulas translate into building a solid spar like a sprit I'm uncertain. Also, what about when sprits have dolphin strikers (AKA spreaders by another name)? Are then the spars & striker construction covered by the exact same formulas as are spars with spreaders? Particularly since from appearances, sprits & dolphin strikers would be subject to huge amounts of compression. Non? And as to how one figures out the strength of their attachments at deck level, I'm totally in the dark.

Information & links on all of the above would be helpful, without doubt. Though at the moment, simpler formulas would be better. And if you've got any links to your favorite websites & reading on such things, they'd surely be appreciated as well. Especially as I'm not well versed in rigging more traditional boats, other than the basics in Brion Toss's The Rigger's Apprentice. And yes, I'm aware that the type of wood or metal used to build such things also plays a big role. So again, please help my DIY "rig studies program"

Thanks!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 05:06   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Bowsprit Scantlings Calculations

The riggers apprentice book covers this I think. I have another book also but can't remember the name. Will look when I get home if someone else doesn't add it sooner.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit, cal