Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 18:57   #16

Boat: Sailboat 51'
Re: First time buying NEW sails! Recommendations?

I also thank you all for this information. I'm currently working with some sail makers pricing out 3 sails, main, head and staysail. To say I have sticker shock is an understatement
I really appreciate the information on the laminates, was going to go with Dacron due to price but now I am rethinking that decision.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 19:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Lots of good tips here on selecting cloth, thread, and features to enhance longevity of your new sail. I'm always careful about how much upselling from the sailmaker I accept. Your sail can become quite expensive. Those people with plenty of money to spend will always say it's worth it because they last longer. That is easy to say if you've got the money to spend. Myself I am careful about requesting only the definitely proven additions, or none. For example I have bought very basic and inexpensive Dacron sails for cruising and they have lasted well. My current mainsail and working jib are doing fine at 7 and 6 years old respectively. The shape is fine for cruising, including upwind shape.

As for size: Your boat is a performance boat. It will sail well with smaller headsails. I'd recommend a small jib (105%) as your major working sail. This sail will be a good size for winds up to 20kts or more with a reefed main and can be reefed slightly for higher winds so a foam luff is nice. When this sail won't work because the wind is too low, turn on the motor or put up an offwind sail. A small jib is a joy on a boat like yours.

Don't exclude the option of changing to a bigger sail on the furler (your old sail perhaps) if you are headed into a passage with light air.
Hi Fred - Wings,

Have you used the sail-maker in PV? I know the original owner was very good. How is the new team?
Old 26-06-2021, 19:50   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenatsea View Post
Hi Fred - Wings,

Have you used the sail-maker in PV? I know the original owner was very good. How is the new team?
There are two sail makers in PV, North Sails (Mike Danielson) and One Sails, (Rodrigo Celluar Dipp) located in La Cruz and Bucerias, respectively.

Both represent full service, international lofts and both can deliver premium sails. Both are good friends of mine.

I personally have ordered many sails from overseas lofts (China, etc) and I currently do represent Durtek Sails in Sri Lanka.
Old 26-06-2021, 20:02   #19

Thanks for the feedback Fred! Have a good evening.

Tags
buying, men, sail, sails