Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 11:30   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Fiddle block and Jib lead blocks frozen

My mainsheet fiddle block has a reluctant block. So do two of my wide jib lead blocks on the track.

Should I use silicone, WD 40 or oil based lubricant.
The fiddle block is plastic, riding on a SS shaft with no bearings, with Plastic cheeks.

The Jib blocks are Aluminum riding on SS pin with Alu housing on a slider.

I have soaked them in a bucket of fresh water overnight to remove salt. I did not notice this problem before I soaked them, but it may have existing before I soaked them. It did not exist last spring.

Thanks.

Will the plastic react with WD40?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 21:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fiddle block and Jib lead blocks frozen

You can use WD40 to loosen them, it won't hurt them, but they may need a drop of lubricating oil, as well, or preferably, use grease. WD40 is not really a lubricant, it displaces water, but doesn't lubricate.

Where we have aluminum sheaves, they have bronze bushings that ride on the stainless steel pins. If you have aluminum directly on the s/s, you may want to take apart the block (use a bolt for the replacement axle), and drill out the corrosion products from the hole. The block will continue to require maintenance.

Ann
Old 14-12-2015, 20:02   #3

Boat: S & S 43'

Hi,
There are serious corrosion issues where ss and alloy are next to each other. try to keep them apart.
Some plastics swell in water: teflon for example. Is you plastic block a water absorbent material: you left it in a bucket of water and it is now stuck !
Good luck
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 15:07   #4

I'll leave them by the boiler for a couple of weeks and see. Thanks.
Old 15-12-2015, 15:33   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can polish the (metal) shaft pins in blocks, as well as the holes in sheaves, with some very fine grit, wet-dry sand paper, & most any type of lubricant.

My brother gave me some funny looks once, when next to my kitchen sink was; a pile of blocks, some 3m green abrasive pads, wet-dry sandpaper, & a bottle of machine oil, & lots of small bins & jars with lids (to keep the small pieces from "escaping", aka getting lost).

The 3M pads were to get off the big pieces of grime, & to clean up some individual (stainless steel) roller bearings, in a sink full of soapy water.
And the oil & wet-dry sandpaper, was for the bigger bits (as described above), after i'd cleaned them in the same manner as the roller bearings.

PS: When I say fine sandpaper, think 400-600 grit & smoother. Also, blocks that are made entirely out of metal are "dish washer safe".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 12:12   #6

Well the three problem blocks 1 nylon plastic wheel and two alu wheel all have SS shafts that are like rivets. I'd have to drill them out.

The plastic wheel is on my boom vang block. Probably happened due to impact. WD40 and silicone got it looser, but not quite free.

The other two alu with ss shaft are for adl jib leads on track. WD40 helped but I think pb blaster needs to be used.

Tags
jib