Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 08:37   #31

Boat: Freedom 32
Re: Electric Winch Handle???

I dunno... Does this raise the question of physical minimums for sailing? How often is physical arm and/or back strength needed on a boat? If you cannot crank down a sheet without assistance, who is going to pull that man-over-board back on the boat? Not the drill. I guess each case must stand on it's own merits.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 08:51   #32

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
I dunno... Does this raise the question of physical minimums for sailing? How often is physical arm and/or back strength needed on a boat? If you cannot crank down a sheet without assistance, who is going to pull that man-over-board back on the boat? Not the drill. I guess each case must stand on it's own merits.
I've seen video of practice MOBs where 2-3 people are having a hard time dragging a limp waterlogged person onboard. There are winches and lines and halyards all over a sailboat and all you can think about is brute force. Get the MOB attached to a halyard then start grinding the halyard winch, with a drill if needed.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:20   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

My wife uses our WinchRite to pull me (230lbs) up our 65ft mast and we can get a few days of solid sailing sheeting in the Genoa and the roller furler Main and Mizzen. The thing I like about it over the drill approach is that is specifically geared for the winch applicaitons so it doesn't rip down the battery with it's 100ftlbs of tourque.

Sailology
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:34   #34

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I saw the "Winchrite" at the Annapolis boat show, a specially made cordless electric winch handle. It looked substantial, but no interchangeable batteries. Anyone any experience of this product over the longer term? Sorry, no website on the leaflet.
I bought the Winchrite a few years ago and absolutely love it. Runs the main up whenever I need it. Has lots of power and easy to use.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:39   #35

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I also like my WinchRite. Had it for about 3 years and had excellent service from the company when I needed it. It lasts me 3 or 4 days of regular use between charges. And it can be recharged from AC or DC. I use it for raising the main and for trimming main, staysail and Yankee sheets. If wind strength makes sheeting the Yankee too much for the WinchRite it's time to furl it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:54   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This comes up every once and a while...and I hav only heard GOOD things aoubt them from those who use them. Obviously, they are not going to perform like a $5k electric winch with a big battery bank but they work for raising sail just fine.
Winch Buddy - Main this is a drill with a foam cover to disguise it so you can pay lots more.

Alternative buy the drill and a "bit"...

Milwaukee Model 0721 - V28 Right Angle 1/2 inch Right Angle Drill (with over 1000 in/lbs. of torque) Sells for $382 on Amazon.

and the bit:
HOME

BIG on that. Your numbers are about spot on for a factory rebuilt. Batteries are 28 V Li. so We can also plug directly into boat DC (24 / 28 charging) I made a winch bit in the shop from key stock. We have to art furl to tack and after one summer of breaking backs, I bought the Milwaukee. It will easily haul me to the mast top (80 feet). We later bought the entire suite of Milwaukee 28 VDC tools so I wound up with two chargers and 3 batteries.

There have bee some people very disappointed with this tool. I think they failed to flip the right angle gear. Its 2:1 reduction one way and 1:2 increaser the other way. You must use as a reducer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1297.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	81653   Click image for larger version

Name:	muscle on deck.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	81654  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:11   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Holy Smokes but at 19.6Lbs for the Milwaukee vz 6lbs for the WinchRite that's a big difference that takes it from a one hand operation to two hands.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:27   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
BIG on that. Your numbers are about spot on for a factory rebuilt. Batteries are 28 V Li. so We can also plug directly into boat DC (24 / 28 charging) I made a winch bit in the shop from key stock. We have to art furl to tack and after one summer of breaking backs, I bought the Milwaukee. It will easily haul me to the mast top (80 feet). We later bought the entire suite of Milwaukee 28 VDC tools so I wound up with two chargers and 3 batteries.

http://youtu.be/DhyEnqudx8MThere have bee some people very disappointed with this tool. I think they failed to flip the right angle gear. Its 2:1 reduction one way and 1:2 increaser the other way. You must use as a reducer.

Will you please elaborate on this gear reduction? I have one and if it were a lower speed, I would think it perfect. I didn't know there was a way to further reduce the gear ratio.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:20   #39

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Will you please elaborate on this gear reduction? I have one and if it were a lower speed, I would think it perfect. I didn't know there was a way to further reduce the gear ratio.
Mine was on the low when received new.

You can flip the right angle assembly (take out the 2 bolts on the sleeve). The right angle assembly is marked on the outside with "Low" and if that's on the chuck side, you're already in the lowest gear ratio, AFAICT.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:56   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK I'll look this weekend. I hope it's not already on low
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 19:50   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
the right angle bevel gear part of the tool is reversible. reduction on way, increaser the other way. You have to remove the bevel gear, chuck etc to turn it around. Mine is marked on the bevel gear housing to indicate the ratio.
Old 22-05-2014, 19:54   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Holy Smokes but at 19.6Lbs for the Milwaukee vz 6lbs for the WinchRite that's a big difference that takes it from a one hand operation to two hands.
I'm 61. I single-hand the thing nearly always. My wife handles it with ease. With the winch in self-tail, I can steer or let off the sheet while the drive handles the furler. You won't break this tool but many have broken the Winch Drive.
Old 22-05-2014, 20:19   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We use the Milwaukee
Expensive and worth it
Buy two batts (they use Lith-Ion) and use an inverter with the fast charger.

Makes every winch electric for less than $450! We raise the dink
Aboard, take crew up the mast, and trim big sails.... It's very strong and the batts charge quickly

Can't recommend a cheaper solution
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 08:06   #44

Boat: Cal 2-46

Which Milwaukee drill is recomended? 18 Volt? I thought I saw a 28 Volt mentioned.
Char99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 09:03   #45
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char99 View Post
Which Milwaukee drill is recomended? 18 Volt? I thought I saw a 28 Volt mentioned.

We have the 28v
smj is offline   Reply With Quote