Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2022, 06:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Drilling holes in spars - does it significantly weaken them?

I'm considering drilling a row of holes in my boom to rivet on an awning track along its length. My concern is how much might it weaken the boom? Same thing goes for the mast (no, no awning track on the mast, this part is academic) - how many holes, and what size, can you make without compromising its strength?

Thanks,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:27   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Drilling holes in spars - does it significantly weaken them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I'm considering drilling a row of holes in my boom to rivet on an awning track along its length. My concern is how much might it weaken the boom? Same thing goes for the mast (no, no awning track on the mast, this part is academic) - how many holes, and what size, can you make without compromising its strength?

Thanks,
David.
For a mast, which is in compression, there will be little if any measurable effect as long as the hole has a fastener.

For the boom it’s all a gamble: it is pulled and pushed and smacked from so many sides and ways that booms fail many times more than masts. If a boom fails, I wouldn’t be surprised if a crack originates from a hole or fastener, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have failed without that hole… itmay just have failed elsewhere.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:24   #3

Mast Drilling to run wires

I have a 24' Alum mast. Diameter around 3". Went with mast mount radar. I'll need to drill about a 7/8" hole in the mast to snake the wires through. Will this weaken the mast?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast.cable.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	252356  
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote