Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2018, 05:59   #1

Drifter Nylon Weight?

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a hank on drifter which is essentially a 150-160% genoa made of a light weight nylon. The intended use is in light air (<12-14kts apparent) at all points of sail. I have a 115% furling genoa that will be used as soon as the wind picks up. The boat is a Gulfstar 37; she's relatively heavy displacing ~20,000lbs.

I've received quotes with different weight nylon ranging from 1.5oz to 3oz and I can't get a clear how much those weights will differ in terms of light air performance. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience they can share?
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 08:03   #2

Re: Drifter Nylon Weight?

Years ago I made one from 1.5 cloth and put hanks on. I used it a lot on a Mexico, FP, Hawaii trip. I have one for a small boat now (Catalina 22) that came with only 1 hank near the top and found it clumsy to use, so added hanks and it is much more convenient. I recently bought a used drifter for my Tartan 34 and will be adding hanks to it. I think your estimate of what wind speed you can use a drifter are a bit high (except for down wind) and with your weight boat you might consider the higher end of what your sailmakers are recommending. The one that I made, I cut pretty flat and I could point well in <4 kn of wind. It was great. Most sailmakers are going to want to put a big belly in a drifter and that is fine except when trying to go to weather. It depends on what point of sail you feel is most important to you. As you can tell, I enjoy light air sailing. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 10:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Years ago I made one from 1.5 cloth and put hanks on. I used it a lot on a Mexico, FP, Hawaii trip. I have one for a small boat now (Catalina 22) that came with only 1 hank near the top and found it clumsy to use, so added hanks and it is much more convenient. I recently bought a used drifter for my Tartan 34 and will be adding hanks to it. I think your estimate of what wind speed you can use a drifter are a bit high (except for down wind) and with your weight boat you might consider the higher end of what your sailmakers are recommending. The one that I made, I cut pretty flat and I could point well in <4 kn of wind. It was great. Most sailmakers are going to want to put a big belly in a drifter and that is fine except when trying to go to weather. It depends on what point of sail you feel is most important to you. As you can tell, I enjoy light air sailing. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
Thanks Grant. Noted on wind speed estimate being high, the "gear change" probably happens more around 10-12. My only hesitation with 3oz material was that it wouldn't fly well in super light air.

Tartan 34 is a great boat. I grew up cruising the NE with my parents on ours.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 19:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

We normally use lightweight polyester 3.x oz as it lasts a lot longer than the nylon. But we're talking for passage making rather than local cruising. The price is about the same.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 20:26   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I am interested in the same question. I guess a lot depends on the boat size and RM, and the wind range so its not a one size fits all, but then many 40 footers would carry a 1.5 oz reaching kite in 20 to 25 knots, so maybe thats the answer if hard windward work in over 10 knots is not needed.

Intelligent sail design would also play a big part, ie radial cut with heavier weight cloths in the leech panels would make lighter cloth set better.

I like the stowability of a light nylon sail (say predominately 1.5 oz)vs a heavier 3 oz dacron laminate. Nylons lower UV resistance would be a factor for long term ocean crossing as well.

I guess I'm leaning towards the lighter nylon option for my boat.
Old 14-04-2018, 20:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Just FYI I was referring to polyester spinnaker material, not dacron or laminate.
They also make it in lighter weights but not so much for cruising. It has a lower burst strength than nylon (which stretches more) and isn't as forgiving in the lighter weights.
Old 14-04-2018, 22:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Just FYI I was referring to polyester spinnaker material, not dacron or laminate.
They also make it in lighter weights but not so much for cruising. It has a lower burst strength than nylon (which stretches more) and isn't as forgiving in the lighter weights.
How does it fold and stuff? Is it similar to nylon on that regard.

Whats the price and durability like as well? I guess you'd have to be a little more careful about not carrying it in a squall or past its wind range. But I had an old worn nice soft dacron (woven polyester) genoa, that would have been about 4oz at a guess, on my last boat and that was a handy sail for light windward work and downwind opposite the poled out genoa.
Old 14-04-2018, 23:18   #8

https://www.sailingworld.com/gear/wh...till-rules-run

Thought this was a reasonable article on some of the more modern spinnaker fabrics.
Old 14-04-2018, 23:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
How does it fold and stuff? Is it similar to nylon on that regard.

Whats the price and durability like as well? I guess you'd have to be a little more careful about not carrying it in a squall or past its wind range. But I had an old worn nice soft dacron (woven polyester) genoa, that would have been about 4oz at a guess, on my last boat and that was a handy sail for light windward work and downwind opposite the poled out genoa.
Its quite soft similar to the cruising nylons, so can easily stuff it into a bag if needed. Most of them these days we do on furlers with torsion rope.
The 3.x is heavy enough you don't have to worry to much. But you wouldn't want to use a 0.75oz polyester for a cruising spinnaker!
https://www.contendersailcloth.com/product/stormlite-2/
Old 15-04-2018, 02:23   #10

^^ good info, and food for thought. Thanks