Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 18:53   #16

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Re: Dousing My New Assymetrical With Sock

Pete - I'd persist with the snuffer. They come into their own if the breeze picks up (ie to more than when you should have dropped it). As a single-hander you need trustworthy steering whilst you're away from the helm, even if you have to set a course to suit the drop. My asymetric has a strop from the bow fitting to the tack, clear of the pulpit. I have experimented and found it is best to tie the reefing line to the tack (even when snuffed) - you know where it is and it is less inclined to get tangled up if the sail collapses (I've had a wrap around with it tied to the lifelines and it was hard to move the snuffer up or down - the reef line was the cause of the wrap.) Release the sheet, not the tack, when snuffed - pull the sail down and walk aft pulling mid-height and upwards into the companionway. When it is secure retieve the tack etc.
Cheers, Andrew G
(PS: I sail single handed. I fly my symetric without a snuffer when I'm in the mood but it is riskier if the breeze picks up).
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote