Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 16:47   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Re-Sheathing Backstays

The protective vinyl tubing that covers my wire running backstays is cracked and falling off the rigging. Does anyone know where I might source a replacement cover, ideally something with an opening slit up one side so I don't have to cut the wire to get it on.
Old 03-04-2012, 16:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

I'd replace the runners with Dyneema or other low stretch line. Wouldn't be that much money and no more problems with the wire abraiding everything it touches.

I put a slit plastic material on my rigging on my old boat. It only took a couple of years for it to succumb to UV and begin breaking up. It wasn't super flexible so wonder if that product would even be suitable for runners.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:51   #3

they used to be common in about 6 ft lengths in marine stores.....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd replace the runners with Dyneema or other low stretch line. Wouldn't be that much money and no more problems with the wire abraiding everything it touches.

I put a slit plastic material on my rigging on my old boat. It only took a couple of years for it to succumb to UV and begin breaking up. It wasn't super flexible so wonder if that product would even be suitable for runners.
+1 plus 5 char

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The split plastic cable covers are made by Davis: Marine and Boating Products by Davis
They are cheap and last a couple of years in the sun. I used to sell a lot of them but demand seems to have dropped off and we discontinued them.
Old 03-04-2012, 23:29   #6

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

This stuff is great,,i have used it over the years on lots of hard duty tools.
The web site: Industrial Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Plastic Coatings, Protective Foam Coatings

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I question if we should be using the platic covering for rigging. April Lass came with the stuff all over the rigging but when I replaced the rigging last year the rigger suggested leaving the stainless steel wire bare.

The problem is water runs down the rigging and attracts dirt which accumulates maintaining a damp environment. Certainly the swages were corroded from a decade of being covered up in a damp environment and covered in a thick layer of dirt.

We have therefore taken his advice and saved a few $$$ by leaving the rigging bare including the spreader ends.

Weather running rigging wire needs the plastic covering is therefore debatable.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42   #8

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Good Point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I question if we should be using the platic covering for rigging. April Lass came with the stuff all over the rigging but when I replaced the rigging last year the rigger suggested leaving the stainless steel wire bare.

The problem is water runs down the rigging and attracts dirt which accumulates maintaining a damp environment. Certainly the swages were corroded from a decade of being covered up in a damp environment and covered in a thick layer of dirt.

We have therefore taken his advice and saved a few $$$ by leaving the rigging bare including the spreader ends.

Weather running rigging wire needs the plastic covering is therefore debatable.

Pete

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:11   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Our runners are mostly wire, but the last few feet is line, which can be used for tensioning (and releasing tension when we want to remove a runner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We use regulator protector sleeves for the bottoms of our side stays where people often graze them... These are VERY easy to put on and remove, and can be easily lifted to clean the stays (albeit when we remember!). We don't buy from SCUBA shops, though, I think we get it from the electrical section of hardware shops, cos they do black, and longer lengths, and it's cheaper! Amazon.com: Hose Cover Protector Spiral Wrap 50" for Scuba Dive Regulator Gauge: Sports & Outdoors

Ah, found it here: http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/Products/00070001
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The split plastic cable covers are made by Davis: Marine and Boating Products by Davis
They are cheap and last a couple of years in the sun. I used to sell a lot of them but demand seems to have dropped off and we discontinued them.
HopCar Thanks for the on point response to my question, exactly what I am looking for.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I have used they split davis sleeves on lifelines and such, but I would not reccomend them for use on something that moves a lot...runners. What others have said about dynema is a far better solution, it's cheap and easy to splice too.
IMHO though when the vinyl coating gives up the 7X19 wire isn't too far behind.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23   #12
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the OP is NOT looking to replace anything with Dynema. Seems whenever anyone whats to replace any sort of wire rgging - standing or running. There always seems to be a small vocal crowd spouting how great Dynema is. Somebody gets 10 minutes with it on a race boat and everyone must use it for everything. I'm fairly sure that most cruisers are just going to do whats proven and cheaper. No way around it - wire lasts way longer. The OPs wire most likly has 5 or 10 more years of good use. Mr. average cruiser is more concerned with ice cube production then low weight, no stretch, line. Wire works, why reinvent the wheel? It may be the greatest stuff ever, but until I'm one of the few without it, I'll pass.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the OP is NOT looking to replace anything with Dynema. Seems whenever anyone whats to replace any sort of wire rgging - standing or running. There always seems to be a small vocal crowd spouting how great Dynema is. Somebody gets 10 minutes with it on a race boat and everyone must use it for everything. I'm fairly sure that most cruisers are just going to do whats proven and cheaper. No way around it - wire lasts way longer. The OPs wire most likly has 5 or 10 more years of good use. Mr. average cruiser is more concerned with ice cube production then low weight, no stretch, line. Wire works, why reinvent the wheel? It may be the greatest stuff ever, but until I'm one of the few without it, I'll pass.
Thanks for say'in what needed to be said Rabid, as the runners on this boat were never used I have no desire to spend the several hundred dollars to replace them, will just re-sheath and drive on.

Tags
backstays