Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 14:19   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams
Does anyone know this furler?

My furler has blown up and parts have gone to Davy Jones,s Locker. I need to replace the top of the drum and the guide bar. I do not know what the brand and model are.
s/v Gemini Dreams: furler

Wes
Old 29-06-2011, 14:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Does anyone know this furler?

Given the size of the boat it's no less work to replace the whole furler. You really don't know how bad the rest of the furler is at this point. Cost is going to be a function of the forestay length. Given it has to be 100% removed including the forestay to be repaired I don't see that it is worth the effort to buy parts even if available given it wasn't a very good furler to begin with. Profurl might be a budget furler that would last better than this one did. You might want look at the forestay and see if it too should be replaced. A length of wire and some connectors won't cost as much as the labor to do this. Doing it yourself is also possible. You'll need some help. A good rigger will do this very quickly if you just replace the whole furler.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 20:01   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Hi

It blew up because I oversized the new line and when it wound all at one end it overfilled and popped of the snap on pieces. the parts I need all snap on and the only issue is the bearings at the top are a little rough under full tension.

wes
Old 29-06-2011, 20:14   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Hi

It blew up because I oversized the new line and when it wound all at one end it overfilled and popped of the snap on pieces. the parts I need all snap on and the only issue is the bearings at the top are a little rough under full tension.

wes
If the bearings are rough and you need parts, dump it. The last thing you want is a sail on a furler that won't furl in a blow. Always seems to happen at the wrong time.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler