Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 10:59   #1

Boat: Hunter 49
Cost Running Rigging

I have a 2007 Hunter 49 and thinking about replacing all the running rigging. Has anyone replaced their running rigging in a boat around the size of mine? Just wondering how much it will cost to replace all the running rigging. I know there are high end and low end. I am looking for something in the middle. And what about the cost of replacing all the standing rigging as well?

Fair Winds
patriot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Cost Running Rigging

I'd be interested in the running rigging cost also. Any rules of thumb here, anyone?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 18:49   #3

For halyards, endura braid, for sheets, stay set, sized to your boat, and winches. Cost, cannot say.
Minidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 18:55   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The cost will be quite dependent upon your individual boat's layout, soooo...

Get on the boat and measure each bit of line that you will replace. Note the diameter as well as length. With that data in hand, a visit to some on line catalogs will give you not a SWAG from the internet but an actual costing for your own boat.

Remember, you will have to do this measurement bit eventually, so why not now?

Jim
Old 07-04-2018, 15:33   #5

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Hunter is pretty good from what I've seen about documenting all the running rigging. Download that if you don't already have it and then shop. No idea where the best prices are.

-Chris
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:08   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I bought all my halyards online direct from the manufacturer in the various sizes I needed,
Double Braided polyester, In 100 metre rolls,

Stainless Steel wire you can buy direct online from the manufacturer in the various sizes you need,
All the swages and a swage tool can also be bought online, direct from the manufacturer,

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Can I ask why at the 11 year point you suddenly want to replace all the running rigging (ropes)? I am assuming you don't want to replace the standing rigging at this point, is this correct because you did specify running rigging?

It's expensive because if you want maximum tension for the genoa, storm and main halyards you are looking at a Dyneema solution. When I saw my bill for these it was a bit of shock to say the least, but a storm jib will sag unless you can get it really taut.

In practise I change a couple of ropes each year. Sheets last year, topping lift this summer, etc. Thankfully most of mine come from the chandlers odd and ends bin, one advantage of a smaller yacht

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:47   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I noticed Sailrite has a cordage closeout sale. Excellent customer care there, I'm sure they would be delighted to answer any questions:

https://www.sailrite.com/Specials-Cl...64568312678922

Then, this site is for Beneteaus but their calculator advices to:
"If your boat meets any of these criteria click here to go up one size:
  • You sail in heavy winds or seas
  • Your boat is heavy for its length
  • Your rope clutches are worn or more than 15 years old"
https://shop.beneteauowners.com/detail-rigging.php
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 18:28   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Why do you want to suddenly replace all your running rigging? It does not all wear out at the same rate. Your mainsheet probably sees more use than your spinnaker halyard. Our spinnaker halyards- on a boat that races frequently- are about 18 years old, and do not need replacing. They aren't even worn enough to require end-for ending yet. A 40' boat will probably have many hundred feet (six hundred?) of fairly hefty line for running rigging. (Thinner line would be strong enough, but it would cut grooves in your hands when you went to pull it, so you need the thicker stuff.) Some of the fancy aramids s can be more than $3.00/foot, so you could be talking several thousand dollars if you want to go that way. I'd rather spend money on sails first.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 17:08   #10

I am by no means an expert, but:
Instead of buying a running rigging "kit" for your specific boat, instead you might consider buying the rope yourself. You can get high quality rigging anywhere from 0.75 - 5.0 dollars per foot, in various strengths and and thicknesses. And it is not very hard to put your own eyes and whatnot in it yourself, get a rope splicing toolkit as well. You might save a pretty penny. But i don't know.
Cpt.JackS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 17:34   #11

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Go to sailboatrowners.com, and click on ropes, then search by model. They have every year and model listed. Just pick your boat and they have all the specifications for the lines ready to go. Just did my Hunter legend 37.5. I was able to specify type of line, shackles, eye splices, everything. When there was a question, I got an email or a phone call. Wasn't expensive at all. Ran all the lines myself on the boat using existing halyards as mouse lines.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 17:49   #12

Ummm the cost is easy to find out - look at the documentation for your board with the size and length of all the lines, then multiple by the price per foot. For my boat it's about $1.10 per foot with about 600ft total i think. Replacing running rigging is easy, totally a DIY thing for most.

If you want to replace all the lines/sheets, you are probably looking at 1K-1.3K feet at prices around $1-2 per foot depending on spec. So i would figure about $2K
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging