Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 13:18   #1

Boat: Hanse 505
Correct material for lashings

I searched diligently so as not to ask an already asked and answered question; however, here goes. What is the right/best material for lashings. Specifically, clew to sheets, or jack lines to pad eyes, etc.

Thanks
Dave
Swan 54
SausalitoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:31   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Correct material for lashings

For sheets to clews: bowlines; some people use soft shackles, and an eye splice in the sheet.

For lifeline lashings, we use approx 3/16" polyester line. You want to be able to cut it to help get someone aboard. One could use the tiny non-stretch whipping twine, as well, but got to figure out the breaking strength to get the number of turns right with an adequate safety factor.

Ann
Old 04-07-2018, 17:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

honestly, it does not matter too much, so long as you match the strength of the lashing to the line. As a note - the actual strength of the lashing will be about 1/2 the strength of the lashing cord x number of legs.

for high load applications, I personally prefer bare dyneema because it is slippery, which allows the load to equizile between the various legs making the lashing stronger than less slippery line - because it is slippery you have too be extra secure in the way you attach the tail ends of the lashing.

for applications which flog, there is an argument to use something with a polyester cover, because it will grip best/easiest - but if you do the bare dyneema properly it will not flog loose.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:02   #4

Thanks, I never knew about the 50% strength issue. That is good information. I do a nice laced stitch to tie off my lashings and have never had a problem with them coming loose. Good information on materials.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 08:34   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

for high load applications, I personally prefer bare dyneema because it is slippery, which allows the load to equizile between the various legs making the lashing stronger than less slippery line - because it is slippery you have too be extra secure in the way you attach the tail ends of the lashing.

For dyneema what do you suggest for securing the initial and final end?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:52   #6

Personally, I eye splice one end and lace the other.

Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
For dyneema what do you suggest for securing the initial and final end?
for the initial end, an eye splice is ofc best - a splice direct around the fitting best, cow hitched eye splice if that is not possible.

for the other end, the answer is less clear and there are options. I personally prefer one of the good constrictor knots (like the Double constrictor) with the end sewn down (to one strand of the lashing). Some people just use a row of half hitches and then wrap the whole lashing with tape (preferably Self-amalgamating tape, but electrical is often used) - which does work just fine.

If you know the exact desired lashing length and don't need to tension it strongly while you are finishing it, then you can connect the two ends together in various quite nice ways (which depends on the geometry of the lashing environment - eg like can you take an eye entirely over one end of the lashing). But I don't see that done much in the marine world.

With lashings one significant, but not often discussed, issues is whether to finish the hitches/constrictor around the whole lashing or only one strand/leg of the lashing. My testing showed that going only around one strand/leg was stronger because it allowed the legs to equalize stress more freely. But going around the whole lashing is more common and easier.

It tends to be quite easy to make lashings (from Dyneema) so strong (stronger than the other parts of the system) that the fine points of the lashing don't practically matter very much (unless you just like to do stuff 'properly').
Old 08-07-2018, 11:11   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Evans
Isn't lashing size dyneema awfully small to do a bury splice?
Old 08-07-2018, 11:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Evans
Isn't lashing size dyneema awfully small to do a bury splice?
You can do quite small size bury's if you use a (thin) wire puller. I know I can do 3mm just fine.

But if the bury is troublesome - then an eye with a Brummel x 8 (or 6 is fine but not less) is the way to go (much better than a knot).