Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 16:35   #16

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Re: Cable Covers ?

Spectra line? Never heard of the stuff. Guess that's another thing to look up and learn about. See...that's why we got this practice boat! When we pass it on to our daughter and hubby...they'll be hooked up! Plus everything I learn, I pass on to them. They sail with us and both are handling the boat very well.
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 16:43   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

barefoot---- is rope. usually used for rigging. is tough and hard to tie into knots. pretty colors. i buy remnants and use em for my lifelines.
perchance--i find the coated lifelines do rust --i use them for dinghy cables for locking....... and bicycles and such when they finally fail as lifelines. i like the spectra. currently using it on both boats.
on formosa i want to make solid rails instead of lifelines.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 16:51   #18

Oh....Ha ha! Silly me!
Old 01-10-2011, 16:53   #19

Boat: 1974 islander 44
The plastic coatings on lifelines do cause them to fail , if you check out any race rules , they usually say if your boat was built after 2004 , you can not have plastic coated lifelines .somebody else allay said it . Oxygen deprivation is really bad for stainless steel . I wouldn't cover any stainless on my boat in plastic !
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 16:56   #20

grl--you not silly=---we all still only learning!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 16:58   #21

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
barefoot---- is rope. usually used for rigging. is tough and hard to tie into knots. pretty colors. i buy remnants and use em for my lifelines.
perchance--i find the coated lifelines do rust --i use them for dinghy cables for locking....... and bicycles and such when they finally fail as lifelines. i like the spectra. currently using it on both boats.
on formosa i want to make solid rails instead of lifelines.
That is our plan as well. It just so happens my brother knows how to weld aluminium. I like bulwarks on a boat with pipe railings. Anything to keep my sorry ass safe.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 18:28   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Here's a compromise I've seen on many racers. Large diameter PVC tube for the sheet to roll around, and big enough to allow air to the wire rope.
The one's I've seen looked homemade.

Mailspeed Marine Large PVC Rigging Screw Cover with Top Cover , Rigging | Mailspeed Marine

I'd never seen these before. Found them while looking for pics of the PVC roller. These also look like it allows air to wire rope. Nice thing about the PVC above though is that you make it big enough to go voer the turnbuckles as well.

Shroud Roller
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:31   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
snip Nice thing about the PVC above though is that you make it big enough to go over the turnbuckles as well.
I like to see turnbuckles. It's a moving part and if something goes awry I hope to be lucky enough to spot the issue before total failure.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:38   #24

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i never saw any reason to cover shrouds even if sail contacts them. i dont like the way they prevent a good grasping onto the shrouds when a hand hold is necessary. they get brittle in sun and fall apart and turn ugly.

snip.....
You're painting with a broad brush. The ones I used fit tight, and after 10 years are flexible and look like new (with no corrosion beneath). As for sail contact, you obviously never had swept back spreaders -- a sail and batten pocket rubbing on the bare wire shroud is a major wear issue, and will even wear through Kevlar sail protection patches if given enough time.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:40   #25

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I like to see turnbuckles. It's a moving part and if something goes awry I hope to be lucky enough to spot the issue before total failure.
They fit loose. I just lift them up anytime I want to look at the turnbuckle.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:54   #26

That's just it...so many differing opinions for different reasons. My reasons for doing anything is maintenance and safety. Also, I don't want to spend money on pointless stuff they sell to unknowledgable newbie like me or the part time sailor that mostly keeps the boat docked.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04   #27

yea, bareftgrl, as it should be. i do not cruise a racing boat nor a performance cruiser as i really do no tlike the way they do not handle in big seas and big winds. i like my brick. even on my ericson i removed thj ebs that the previous owner, a wannabe snotty yotty placed on the rig and lifelines. yes is pretty. no it does not serve any function.
also is not safe to grab in an emergency-- WILL make problems. i choose to leave my lines plain and unadorened. yes my to be removed at a later date lifelines are coated, but that is entirely different, as that coating does not slip and slide when grabbed., when those fail, will snap and no longer exist as a lifeline. will become a dink chain for a lock.
OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND. hard to replace or maintain that which ye do not see.
just my humble opinion.