Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 22:18   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Best source of SS for standing rigging???

I think I want to build the standing rigging myself.

Tips, tricks, and best price suppliers.

Current size is 5/32". Thinking I want to go up in size.

Changing my masts from 27.5' and 20' mizzen to 30' and 27.5' mizzen.

I sail on a small lake, and I tend to sail in light winds, looking to get up a little more speed from light winds.
Old 01-10-2012, 22:32   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Best source of SS for standing rigging???

I used Sailing Services in Miami - here is their website: Sailing Services - Rigging, Lifelines, Winches, Furling Systems, Supplies, Ropes
They are also the US Distributor for Sta-Lok rigging stuff.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 22:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I used Sailing Services in Miami - here is their website: Sailing Services - Rigging, Lifelines, Winches, Furling Systems, Supplies, Ropes
They are also the US Distributor for Sta-Lok rigging stuff.

Thanks, found this on google

Installing Sta-Lok ® Fittings
Old 01-10-2012, 22:57   #4

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Thanks Gary!

I'll be replacing my rigging soon, and that site will help!
Old 01-10-2012, 23:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Thanks, found this on google

Installing Sta-Lok ® Fittings
great find
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 23:12   #6

My local Harbor Freight store sells a similar fastener, but I very much trust something stamped Made In England over Made In China.

The single wedge fitting inside the loom is better then the others I have seen where three wedges push at the wire from the outside.

In my mind, this properly done, cannot fail. Nice clean look, easy to do yourself.

I would pass on the two adjustable crescent wrenches, and get proper wrenches.
Old 01-10-2012, 23:17   #7

My current standing rigging stainless steel cable has a white cover over it, up maybe 10 feet or so. I am assuming to keep fingerprints from discoloring the finish???

Gives the boat a nice look.

Looks pre made with one very tight seam, and an adhesive inside it.

Where do I get that?
Old 02-10-2012, 00:05   #8

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

if i was asked i would say use an industrial rigging company, forget about the marine guys they i find they take the pi$$ on pricing.

I did all the rigging on my 28 footer with a 9 meter stick, was quoted in the 4-5000k mark from the marine riggers and did it all for about $1350, all of it!

10 mm fore and back stay, 10 mm upper shrouds, 8 mm lower shrouds, and the life lines, including all eyes, screw, pelican clips etc, everything is 316 marine grade stainless.

I had to measure everything and hope that my measurements were right, but that was it.

i used arun of the mill industrial rigging company that does cranes, lifting equiptment etc and asked them to order the stuff in for me as they have a better buying power on that stuff than the small volume marine riggers.

plus as a side benifit you can ask them for a test certificate for all the rigging (at an extra cost) for insurance purposes.

Matthew
Old 02-10-2012, 06:11   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by resilientg View Post
if i was asked i would say use an industrial rigging company, forget about the marine guys they i find they take the pi$$ on pricing.

I did all the rigging on my 28 footer with a 9 meter stick, was quoted in the 4-5000k mark from the marine riggers and did it all for about $1350, all of it!

10 mm fore and back stay, 10 mm upper shrouds, 8 mm lower shrouds, and the life lines, including all eyes, screw, pelican clips etc, everything is 316 marine grade stainless.

I had to measure everything and hope that my measurements were right, but that was it.

i used arun of the mill industrial rigging company that does cranes, lifting equiptment etc and asked them to order the stuff in for me as they have a better buying power on that stuff than the small volume marine riggers.

plus as a side benifit you can ask them for a test certificate for all the rigging (at an extra cost) for insurance purposes.

Matthew
I would support this suggestion if you have a nearby industrial rigging company. The test certificate provides peace of mind and your insurer will indeed like it.

On the other hand, I've helped do a Sta-Lok forestay job and apart from paranoia at the measuring and cutting stages, it was a reasonably straightforward job. We did a forestay for a 36 footer (5/16" stay) in about 90 minutes. It's failed to fall down all summer.

Take into account, however, the tendency of fresh wire to stretch a little bit under tension. Counter-intuitively, you want to end up with turnbuckle body largely empty of terminals once you've snugged down as per Loos gauge tensioning for the size you are installing..

The idea is to go sailing a few times, leave it for a month, and then remeasure the tension. You may find it's necessary to make a few more turns on the turnbuckle, and you'll be glad you "cut it fine" in order to get that.

Your ketch will be more fun with more mast. Being a ketch, you can carry it and just adjust your sail area in response to conditions. You will probably run more "jib and jigger" in stronger airs now, which most ketches do well at.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I can second the recommendation for Sailing Services in Miami. I have been dealing with them for 40 years and still a happy customer.

Not sure if they still do this but in the past they would take a sample from each lot of stainless wire they stocked and hang a piece of it off a dock to watch for long term corrosion issues. Don't find many companies with that level of attention to detail.

Also, prices are competitive and they don't sell cheap Chinese wire.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging