Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42   #1

Besides Hunters . . .

what boats use the B&R rig?
And have any of you first hand knowledge/experience sailing this rig?

Except for Direct Downwind shortfalls, and what appears to be a general disdain for the Hunter line of boats, there is no other information available on this rig which is claimed to be well-used and with a long history.

Yes, I read the Seldon pages. Good overview, but I'd like some sailors to speak up
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07   #2

Sailing downwind is the shortfall. Other than that, it works very well. Depends, of course, on your plans for the boat. Others may howl, but I would want a backstay or two for anything potentially rough.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:48   #3

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Just about every catamaran out there uses B&R or a variation of the B&R rigging concept. Most of the around the world racers also use the concept. Those of you that will be quick to point out, downwind blah, blah..... We use a cruising sail off the wind and do just fine. Actually, I think there is another thread on here why directly downwind is not as efficient as tacking deep broad reaches.................
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:20   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
As S/V Mystique implies, dead downwind is usually a poor direction in which to travel and not a shortfall with a B&R rigged boat unless somebody tries doing long hauls without the proper sails, something most cruisers wouldn't even think about. Regardless, there are too many racing boats and world cruising rigged boats with B&R rigs too numerous to list.

I think the real issue is that there are some who just like to criticize, be it hunters, B&R rigs or anything else with which they are unfamiliar or don't have.

I saw too many B&R rigged boats throughout the Pacific when we cruised there years ago to put any credibility to that criticism.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 20:40   #5
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Hunter has been using the B&R rig for a quarter of a century. Who knows how long it's been in use around the world, but it's well established.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
... Who knows how long it's been in use around the world, but it's well established.
The B&R rig is a design by Lars Bergstrom and Sven Ridder, patented in 1973 (37 years ago).

See post #2 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/b-and-r-rig-on-a-hunter-16506.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:10   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Can someone please post some links or images so we can see details on what this is? searching on B&R or Lars Bergstrom and Sven Ridder didn't return anything for me.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47   #8

try this

Catalogue - Hints and Advice - Seldén - (Version JPG) - 52

It's about the only info I've found, which is why I was asking for first-hand knowledge.
I like the idea of a fully-battened - deep roach main for my lil' cruiser project
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote