Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
All the Stainless Wire Rigging is Rusting on One Strand?

OK, rigging experts:

So was just on a cat over the weekend that had reportedly pretty new (2 year old) standing rigging made up of stainless wire. All the rigging had a faint "candy stripe" (or barber pole) appearance to them where a reddish stain followed one of the individual strands down the shrouds. I couldn't see any actual corrosion, and the reddish stain wiped off when rubbed, but it sure seemed like a rust stain.

Does this indicate that one of the strands was created with a lower grade steel? Does this put all the rigging into doubt, since all the shrouds are exhibiting this?

Cheers- Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39   #2

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: All the stainless wire rigging is rusting on one strand?

I've seen new rigging looking awful with surface rust after a season. On this boat we cleaned the rigging with some stainless steel cleaner and it basically never returned.
My theory is that new rigging still has some surface pollution, maybe from the die that was used to create it.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02   #3

Re: All the Stainless Wire Rigging is Rusting on One Strand?

Thanks aluijten- good to know it may not be a huge issue.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12   #4

Or it might be. We were completely re-rigged three years ago. Everything rusted. Cheap stainless wire from China that isn't stainless. Our manufacturer replaced the wire last year and it hasn't rusted. Another boat we know was told by another manufacturer "too bad, we're not in the wire business any more, so sue, but you'll have to get in line."

First test, put a magnet on all the wire and all the fittings.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I had a broken stantion I welded. Used the same grinding wheel on the ss as I had used on some mild steel. Now the weld looks all rusty. Mild metal flakes from the grinding wheel on the stantion are rusting.

OTOH, what you have would worry me. I'm surly no expert, but that would sort of indicate to me there was a problem with the wire. Especially since it is so consistent.

Once many years ago I had an incidence where some control cable had a manufacturing problem that caused it to fail if it was pulled too tight in the installation. It was a mechanical issue with the cable production machinery. I was able to convince the manufacturer that it was his issue. It was a bid dollar problem.

Pretty irrelevant to here other than stuff does happen.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I wonder if that isn't a marker strand. You are sure it is rust and not some kind of dye?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:05   #7

sounds like one strand is poor chemical makeup compared with the others.... or as mentioned... contaminated with steel from a draw die.... either way.. probably not a good sign.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 23:39   #8

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

You say its red ?...not brown ?...in my experience rust is brown not red.
I've seen red on wire that was loctite that had run out of a fitting and down the wire.
If you can wipe it off easily its unlikely to be rust.
Seems to me unlikely that one strand would be lower quality SS than the others
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14   #9
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

We rerigged last year by a "reputible" rigger in Deale, Maryland. Were assured that the rigging wire from China was just as good as the European which I requested (yes, we have the certificates). We ended up with a mix of the last of the US wire produced and some Chinese wire. We have already had to have one shroud repaired. We also have "candy striping" on some of the wire. Had the rig inspected in St. Martin who said the forestay was in "fair" condition (about 7 months old). The rigger who repaired the shroud in the Azores suggested that the entire job should be redone in the near future and that the striping was lower quality wire mixed in with the good. None of the swages were sealed and they have started to corrode inside. Check to make sure if you have swages that they have sealant at the top to keep the water out. We have decided that we will replace the rig as soon as we can and in the meantime, carry the fittings to make repairs (if we can find them in Portugal or Spain).
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28   #10

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

i cleaned up with phosphoric acid and washed off. nice and shiny now.
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I wonder if that isn't a marker strand. You are sure it is rust and not some kind of dye?

What's a marker strand?

The color was dark reddish brown- although it was just a faint stain, but definitely noticeable. It looked like a rust stain, but I didn't get a chance to inspect carefully.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
We rerigged last year by a "reputible" rigger in Deale, Maryland. Were assured that the rigging wire from China was just as good as the European which I requested (yes, we have the certificates). We ended up with a mix of the last of the US wire produced and some Chinese wire. We have already had to have one shroud repaired. We also have "candy striping" on some of the wire. Had the rig inspected in St. Martin who said the forestay was in "fair" condition (about 7 months old). The rigger who repaired the shroud in the Azores suggested that the entire job should be redone in the near future and that the striping was lower quality wire mixed in with the good. None of the swages were sealed and they have started to corrode inside. Check to make sure if you have swages that they have sealant at the top to keep the water out. We have decided that we will replace the rig as soon as we can and in the meantime, carry the fittings to make repairs (if we can find them in Portugal or Spain).
Hmmmm.... sounds pretty similar. Not promising.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29   #13

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly
i cleaned up with phosphoric acid and washed off. nice and shiny now.
I hope cleaning it did no harm to the wire. I also had light rust showing on my 10 year old rigging (half that time in storage) and I only used soap and water. Still looks a little dusted in rust.
Old 05-11-2012, 13:50   #14

Boat: Ranger 33

I have the same problem of 1 rusty strand. I rerigged with a well respected rigger in May 2012. The uppers have NO rust. All 4 lowers of a different diameter (different spool/lot) started showing rust accumulation by July. Rigger has just 'cleaned' the lowers and we will watch it. The wire is Korean which is capable in making good stuff. My rigger sent my pictures to vendor but no feedback to me. I'll be interested to hear from anyone on this thread if their rust returns after 'cleaning'.
ringydingydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:57   #15

Boat: Heritage 35

Could it be 304 wire instead of 316? 304 stronger but not so stain resistant in the tropics. I re rigged this spring with the 304 it discoloured quicker than the 316 in the salt water.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging