Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 18:06   #16

Hi There,

I has a Triton and lived aboard her for a few years after college. I would like to mention a couple of things. One, if your worried about the weather helm a few thigns have been done successfully.

First, as was mentioned before, Foreward rake of the mast. That one definitely works. Not crazy rake, just a bit. Definitely forget about aft rake like the fractional rig racers with bow and arrow bendy rigs.

Second, some folks have redesigned the rudder to give a bit more area, and this has been shown to help as well in some cases (not all I think) I should mention the rudder on the triton. It is an old school design built with drift pins that go through solid wood and are bolted on in a cut out of the wood. If you are pulling the rudder apart look for corrosion here. Also the pintle and gudgeon bolts on my boat were eaten away through corrosion and if you are cruising I would replace all of them.

Third, some boats out of San Fran have actually cut down the main a bit so that it does not go all the way to the end fo the boom. Keep in mind that they are racing in Sanfrancisco conditions, so getting enough wind may not be as hard as on the east coast. I wouldnt bother, but if the boat is old and so are the sails, look to have some belly cut out to flatten her down a bit (if needed).

The weather helm is one of the things about tritons that makes them such forgiving boats. You push her too hard and she says no and rounds up. If you are going cruising I would consider mast rake and maybe rudder and leave it at that.

As for the bowspirit thing, I suppose I could see wanting one. You arent going to set any speed records in a triton, and maybe a bit more cloth would get you going, but I would concentrate on learning to run a spinnaker downwind if you are cruising instead. Spend the money you would have spent on the bowspirit on beer in the islands!

Problem with a bowspirit on the triton is that that bow will splash down into the water when hobbyhorsing. You don't have a ton of freeboard to spare and I have been on the bow a few tomes and gotten a snout-full of solid water. If planning to go offshore you had better build her strong.

but it is amazing for its size, and holds the sea really well. For those in NZ the triton is almost spot on the same design as an H28. Same family orginially pulled from the folkboat designs (though I may be wrong on that). Sweet boat and soo pretty.

Oh, Chuck the atomic 4 in the ocean or buy moyers manual. You will need it cruising. Marvel mystery oil in the gas keeps the valves happy.

Bowspirit could be cool and fun. Why not. Its a little boat and the forces are relatively small, so if you went with fat rigging wire, I dont think you would go too astray. If you want the old school look obviously whiskers are needed, but if you just want more power an a frame bowspirit might be easier if all you want if 1.5 to 2 feet extra.

Also, the extra spreader thing is bunk. Sausalito built boats came with masthead rigs with no extra spreader. Do you have the swinging spreaders or fixed? Masthead will mean you have to remove the diamond stay.
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 14:32   #17

Thanks everybody ! I have decided to leave it as is and just go sailing! Im not going to be in to big of a hury anyways. Brian and Clare I thank you for your input. I would like to chat with you some more directly if possible. I have a few question only a Triton owner could answer.
Bpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 17:27   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpage View Post
Thanks everybody ! I have decided to leave it as is and just go sailing! Im not going to be in to big of a hury anyways. Brian and Clare I thank you for your input. I would like to chat with you some more directly if possible. I have a few question only a Triton owner could answer.
I understand you have made your choice but you may wish to look at the March 2006 issue of Sail Magazine (104-105). It details a bowsprit, removable in about 10 minutes with four bolts.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 19:39   #19

Boat: 44 footer
Hello fellow triton lover!

Have you seen the plastic classic forum? The Plastic Classic Forum :: Index

The Triton Association has an article about the Triton "Soubrette" which has a bowsprit added, to make it a "Slutter." Sloop/cutter rig.
Soubrette's Cruising Rig
National Triton Association (More articles about that boat here)

Also: Dororthy G has a little bowsprit. The Plastic Classic Forum :: View topic - Triton "Dorothy G" (Numerous Photos)

The updated rudder design for reducing weatherhelm is known as the "Constellation" style and you can find out more about it from the Pearson Ariel/Commander forums. It is shown here on the line drawings:

All of Albergs later designs utilize the squared off lower section rather than the ear shape of the Triton and early designs. While you are down there
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:16   #20

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Hi all,

We are pondering the idea of adding a bowsprit, for no other reason than I love how they look and I love sitting on them. However, we really dont want to move the forestay as it is very secure at the moment. Is there any point building one just for an anchor platform? (and a seat!! ) and NOT moving the forestay? Anyone think of any major flaws in our badly thought out plan??

Thanks for your help

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 13:15   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Miss M,
I've seen quite a few added to the bow for the very reason you mention. You just need to take a look at how it will be supported from below. Some have done an excellent job with a hefty U shaped stainless tube bolted to the sides of the bow and extended a foot or two with a nice wood platform constructed on of in the U.
Good luck. It sounds like a worthwhile project.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote