Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 06:45   #1

Boat: Pearson 40
Whale Quick Connect

Hello

Does anyone have any experience with the Whale Quick Connect sytem for onboard water usage, i.e. pressure water in the galley and head??

I know they are easy to use and install with the 15mm rigid poluethylene hoses, but I am just wondering about their long term reliability...

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Cheers to all!
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 23:10   #2

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
I am wondering the same thing. I'm going to replumb the boat next year.

The hose is stronger and impermeable to light, therefore not going to grow mold on the inside of the lines, etc.
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 00:45   #3

Boat: TBA
Thumbs up Plastic Plumbing

i have used this system and provided you cut everything with cutters and make it square it will work, however if you get any pressure on the fittings or the pipe at the connection point it is subject to failure . it also does not like to be reused as it tends to leak(mainly just a slow drip and proves impossible to fix ) i like this system on land but not on boats where everything is constantly moving.

The better system is a similar type which is used in housing. It is a plastic pipe rated for commercial water pressure with plastic/brass fittings they come by a variety of names but Sharkbite is one. The fittings are simply just pushed on and to remove, a pipe clip is just slid along the pipe to the fitting releasing the fitting by pulling the fitting while applying pressure with the pipe clip. this is great in tight spots and ease of repairs or additions is a breeze. only tools are conduit pipe cutters and a plastic pipe clip . Most plumbing supply shops should stock these systems and are 20-30% cheaper than Whale in Australia.

i have some of these systems in 12mm (1/2 inch) for both fresh and salt water systems in use now for the past 6 years and recently add to one system and had no problems.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 03:35   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I would aggree use the commercial/ domestic systems. O ring and sharkteeth ( HEP) being one such system)

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 05:15   #5

Boat: Pearson 40
I have the commercial/domestic push in type right now but only for two lines going to the gaalley and head sinks. They have been without a problem for about 5 years.

These systems use a steel collet, the Whale system does not have any metal retaining rings , only plastic. I also heard that in hotter environments, for example the engine compartment, the steel collets tend to work themselves into the plastic wall and leak. I don't know about the veracity of this, however.

Thanks for the feedback all !
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote