Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 13:43   #1

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Watermaker - high TDS with new filters

Some background...

I have a Seawater Pro system with dual membranes that has served me well since installation in Cape Town around May 2022. The system was purchased in July 2019 and stored prior to refitting the yacht for crossing to the Caribbean towards the end of 2022. At time of installing the RO membranes were dry with a powdery residue in the plastic sleeves, I blamed myself for poor storeage and expected the membranes to perform poorly - but after installing the TDS was around 120 and all looked good.

I ran the system in Cape Town (Simons Town) between installation in May and departure in Sept, with the TDS slowly clinbing to around 220, which was no cause for alarm as far as I was concerned. During the 3 month crossing with regular use the TDS continued to climb. By the time I arrived in Grenada in December 2022 the TDS was around 350. I attributed the increase to higher salinity water and higher water temps - again not alarmed.

Over the last 9 months the TDS has continued to climb to the point where it takes a few minutes to drop below 500 where I feel comfortable to switch from Test to Tank, during the 2 hours that it takes to top up it settles around 440.

Time to change filters...

I ordered 2 new SW30-2540 filters and installed them yesterday. After installing I ran the system for an hour to flush the new filters with the lowest TDS towards the end of the hour being about 350. Today I ran the system to top up tanks, and after an hour the TDS was 440! Exactly the same as the filters that I just changed!

My question - is there any other source of contamination possible other than dodgy filters, for instance is it possible for failed O-rings to allow some bypass to contaminate the product and give a high TDS?

Note that TDS readings are taken from the built in tester, and occasionally confirmed with separate hand held - so I dont think it is a dodgy TDS meter issue.

Thanks for reading.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 20:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Watermaker - high TDS with new filters

We have a Seawater Pro. Failed o-rings will absolutely do what you are talking about. Did you replace the o-rings? We consistently get below 200 with ours.

I do know in talking with them, membranes have a shelf life of about 6 months. Anything longer than that MAY work, but might not. What were the dates on your new membranes?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 11:32   #3

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.

The new membranes are fresh - I will strip the filters out again, clean up the tubes where the o-rings sit, and replace all o-rings before refitting.

Thanks for the input - I hope this will solve the issue. If it does it would mean that I have probably replaced the old membranes unnecessarily!
Old 29-08-2023, 18:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

It's not your filters. They are there just to keep the membrane from clogging. Something is getting past your membrane(s). Can you isolate them to see if it's just one of them? A simple bronze plug should work. Seating membranes can be an issue. Might want to make SURE they are well seated.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 18:26   #5

Does anyone know if I can use Vaseline or some other product on the o-rings in the membrane pressure vessel?
Old 02-09-2023, 00:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There's a food grade silicone grease. Should be available at a plumber's supply, or dairy supply. It's on Amazon and ebay.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker