Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Water press pump w/ gunk in it

I thought I had posted this here, but I don't see it:

It's a LONG story, but I managed to suck very fine clay up into my water pressure pump. It has undoubtedly hardened and I have not used the water pressure pump since that happened, trying to find out what to do.

The clay does dissolve. If I suck water into the pump and then turn the fawcett off, will the water stay in the pump and have a chance to dissolve any clay? I don't want to burn my pump up over this.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Water press pump w/ gunk in it

How about just taking the pump apart and cleaning it......

or removing the aerator from the faucet and running a lot of water through the system
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Disconnect and disassemble and clean the pump and replace the pressure switch. Temporarily install a short length of hose in the position formerly occupied by the pump and use a hose to back-flow water from the sinks (on that boat you should only have two) to the tank. Use a shop vac to suction out the tank. Repeat until the water suctioned into the vac from the tank comes up clear. Install a sediment filter in the raw water line between the tank and the pump and reinstall the pump.

FWIW..

PS: Get rid of the cat, the cat litter, the shed fur and dander and, if lucky with a few weeks, the smell.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

once that clay settles out of suspension it is pretty doubtful that the flowrate of a standard water pump is going to be able to get it back into suspension again
Old 09-11-2012, 14:21   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
How about just taking the pump apart and cleaning it......

or removing the aerator from the faucet and running a lot of water through the system

"Suzie Screwdriver" I'm not ...

I can do the second. The first one ... not an option.

Someone else IRL also suggested the second. It had occurred to me also, since clearly it can be dissolved, but I wanted to hear "It's OK to do that" from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 14:22   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Disconnect and disassemble and clean the pump and replace the pressure switch. Temporarily install a short length of hose in the position formerly occupied by the pump and use a hose to back-flow water from the sinks (on that boat you should only have two) to the tank. Use a shop vac to suction out the tank. Repeat until the water suctioned into the vac from the tank comes up clear. Install a sediment filter in the raw water line between the tank and the pump and reinstall the pump.

FWIW..

PS: Get rid of the cat, the cat litter, the shed fur and dander and, if lucky with a few weeks, the smell.

So sorry if your boat smells. Mine does not.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:57   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
So sorry if your boat smells. Mine does not.
I'm sure. No old women that have cats in houses, boats, RV's et al, ever have a clue that they and their houses, boats, RV's et al have a distinctive "cat" stench, just as old moonshiners have a distinctive "corn" stench (tho' one is endurable and the other not). In the case of cats, it's the ammonia that burns out their olfactory nerves, I'm sure.

N'any case, don't get me wrong. I like cats. Medium rare with coleslaw and a side of fries particularly.

If you're not "susie screwdriver" yet, work one it or find another hobby. In the mean time, follow the instructions offered to you earlier (or save the bandwidth) and you'll resolve your problem. Dealing with a pump involves disconnecting two hose clamps, four mounting screws, one electrical plug, and 6 cover screws over an impulse damper. Cleaning involves--cleaning. Clean water and a toothbrush seem to work well. Follow up with previously offered advise/instruction as to raw water lines and your tank. Once the business is cleaned up and you've added the sediment filter (2 microns works) and, if you are wise, an activated charcoal filter, as previosuly suggested, add 1-1/2 Oz of unscented household bleach per 50 gallons of water to you tanks as an antibacterial measure (and, of course, keep the cat litter out, or better yet, get a Freeze Dried cat that doesn't need cat litter at all).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 18:17   #8
cruiser

For anyone who does have a pet on their boat, the way to tell whether you have an odor or not is to ask friends who do not live with your pet on your boat.
Old 09-11-2012, 18:20   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm thinking new regulations are needed. Raku has the first pet waste holding tank. If your cat is on board you need to have a kitty tank for the waste.
Good on you raku for paving the way. Even if it is a clay road and its littered with droppings
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 18:38   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I'm thinking new regulations are needed. Raku has the first pet waste holding tank. If your cat is on board you need to have a kitty tank for the waste.
Good on you raku for paving the way. Even if it is a clay road and its littered with droppings

I try to do my part.

Tags
water