Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 24-06-2006, 21:22   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Waeco vs Engel

I know both Waeco and Engel are decent brands of freezer/refrigerators. I had been favouring Engel but Waeco seems pretty impressive (I'm think amp consumption here). I have included this link on an "independent" review of the 40 litre Waeco product:

http://www.waeco.com.au/news.asp?id=147

So is Waeco the new kid on the block and can't get no respect; or is it new kid to be taken seriously?

I know there is a thread below sort of similiar to this but not quite. Kooletron's appear to use more juice to run them.

I must confess I like that here in Vancouver Waeco is a little cheaper than Engel and you get a few more litres to boot.

Educated opinions?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 22:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now I can confirm it. Weaco is definitly what I have. A CU-85 and a VD-15. It has been running like a dream. Certainly due some respect RSN.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 20:03   #3
Bob Norson

Greetings
I have used both engel and waeco in the same boat, same batt system and same regulator/ammeter to track consumption. I found the waeco to be more efficient and the danfoss compressor has a good reputation so hope longevity is on par with engel. (yet to be proved though) Both of the portable models have crap for insulation and both improve dramaticaly with even a small help there.

The Best thing about waeco is that, in Australia anyway, they have forced the market down. Engels are now selling for less than they did ten years ago. It's good that they are no longer the only game in town.

Waeco gets my nod but I wouldn't turn down a second hand engel gotten cheap.

Cheers
Old 25-06-2006, 22:08   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
The Waeco has already forced the price down on Engel, but sometimes it is hard to tell. Lots of Americans like to rip us off (Canadians) as the product that was brought in when our dollar was at .75 cents on the American dollar, remains the same price even as our dollar averages .90 cents or more. There was a news item about the price of cars in Canada versus in the States, and the fact the car is American made; the price of them should be around 10% less, but I can assure you its much more than that.

Since the Waeco fridge has come to my favourite chandlery, the comparably Engel model has dropped in price about $150. The comparably Waeco is around $150 cheaper than the now reduced Engel and holds a bit more.

By the way, for those of you who have heard of Kipor generators and know they are substantially cheaper than Honda's; I had an interesting conversation with a Canadian supplier who has had to discontinue his Kipor line.

Seems the Kipors are knock offs of Hondas (they been in Europe for over a decade or more now) and most of the repair parts can be Honda parts. Honda put the squeeze on the Canadian dealer to discontinue carrying Kipor generators which he has mostly done. Honda says they are too much of a copy of Honda and thus should not be supported. The reason I am telling you here is I don't like companies squeezing out other companies, so you heard it from the Honda's mouth, Kipors are Honda's in drag. If you want a cheaper generator, buy Kipors (yes they are a proven product and are the second most poplar brand in Europe).
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote