Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Used freezer holding plates

The Glacier Bay holding plates had either four or six spider evaporator tubing coils inside. On the inlet outside of plate the ½ inch OD tube connected to the spider connections. Unfortunately the separate spider coils exiting plate were joined together inside plate, otherwise they could be modified to match a smaller size compressor. The Glacier Bay plate was quality but failures were reported and possibly as a result of the super secret solution inside.

I would stay away from any used plate that showed expanded metal distortion. I would recommend you contact Technautics for used plates as they have the only proven quality machine seam welded plate designs for small compressors.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Wow, my condolences!

Are those parts designed to work together?

I suspect you will want more than I could afford, maybe in the spring.

But yes, we can always PM, feel free!
The holding plates were originally driven by a massive 110VAC compressor. There were 3 in the freezer box, and 1 in the fridge box. I was in the process of upgrading the refrigeration system to individual 12VDC compressors, so bought the new units from Technautics (thanks, Rich!), and sent them my holding plates which they refurbished with new Aeroquip fittings and new eutectic fluid. The plates do need cosmetic refinishing, and I was in the process of getting them ready for a nice coat of gloss-white epoxy when disaster struck - I've pretty much left them as is since then, since I've been fighting with lawyers and have had no energy or desire to tackle anything else just yet.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info, and we can chat if you want.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 06:44   #18

Boat: 40', Farr 38

a bit off topic but, I have an old R12 cold plate in my ice box which was engine compressor driven. Can this be converted / purged and re-filled and used in a current R34 system? I also have the old engine compressor which I have removed as I’ve a new engine and the cold plate had stopped working before I bought the boat nearly 19 years ago. Is this old equipment useless or can it be utilized in a current system? BTW, there is no evidence of rust or leakage, nice clean stainless steel.
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 10:57   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ben View Post
a bit off topic but, I have an old R12 cold plate in my ice box which was engine compressor driven. Can this be converted / purged and re-filled and used in a current R34 system? I also have the old engine compressor which I have removed as I’ve a new engine and the cold plate had stopped working before I bought the boat nearly 19 years ago. Is this old equipment useless or can it be utilized in a current system? BTW, there is no evidence of rust or leakage, nice clean stainless steel.
There were many Hybrid Eutectic plates sold by Kollmann Marine, SeaFrost and Technautics that were designed for large compressors and and small compressors. If your plates have two large 1/2 inch tubes and two 1/4 or 5/16 tube connections they can be used for any of the Danfoss BD compressor condensing units after clean up flushing and pressure testing.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:36   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It may not be a hybrid, it may be a pure engine driven cold plate?
But yes the cold plate can be cleaned out and re-used as long as of course it’s not physically damaged.
I believe Rich, Technautics often build systems using the customer supplied cold plates, might want to contact him.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer