Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18   #106

Re: The Best Marine Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait2035 View Post
Just updated our blog with our opinion/review of the natures head, definitely not for us, now looking to buy the raritan marine elegance and go back to the holding tank...
**** Happens – A Nature’s Head composting toilet review! | searavensailing
Sharkbait.
I'll buy it off ya! Let me know!
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22   #107

LAVAC are great. Just be sure to treat the lid seal with care... It uses a REAL pump...that's external...

OR if you have the money The Baby BLAKE..Baby Blake

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11   #108

I know there's a lot of debate about the composting heads but we have one now for 7 months (a Nature's Head). There are two of us and we live on the boat three out of 7 days a week. We hooked it up to a solar vent which works great. There is absolutely no smell at all!!! And we just cleaned the composting for the first time. I dreaded that process but it was easy and it smelled like dirt! Love it!!!
KeysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36   #109
CFR

After evaluating a lot of suppliers and taking out a old sealnad vacuum toilet i installed a manual one from orvea, a ols style italian manufacturer in italy, very well made. I love these family owned small business. cost approx 1000 usd- pls seehttp://www.orvea.it/wc_manuali.htm
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31   #110
Marine Service Provider

CFR,
The Orvea looks to be a well made unit. My concern would be finding parts. I can find rebuild kits for my Henderson MK V pump for the Lavac all over the world.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01   #111
CFR

yes you are right. i picked up the toilet myself and asked the owner. he sold me one spare part kit and mentioend he is building this toilet since 35 years, mainly for the navy and commercial fishing fleets, i should not worry they just work....... lets see
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:43   #112
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysDreaming View Post
I know there's a lot of debate about the composting heads but we have one now for 7 months (a Nature's Head). There are two of us and we live on the boat three out of 7 days a week. We hooked it up to a solar vent which works great. There is absolutely no smell at all!!! And we just cleaned the composting for the first time. I dreaded that process but it was easy and it smelled like dirt! Love it!!!
As in most things... user error accounts for a huge portion of the failed tries...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 18:16   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
As in most things... user error accounts for a huge portion of the failed tries...
That and capacity. A composting toilet has a certain capacity beyond which it doesn't work so well. They may not be able to handle full time liveaboards.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 19:52   #114

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Jagged a brand new Jabsco deluxe flush (4 flush cycles) a couple of days ago for about 70% less than the shops sell 'em for, even cheaper than I can buy a TMC for so I hope it is OK.
I'll run a "bum gun" with it as well

As backup, or if wanting a scenic view from the back patio I'm getting one of these.
No moving parts, nothing to fail and a comfortable s(h)itting height

The Thunder Downunder

Old 12-09-2012, 20:04   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Does Cat Man Do Do go in the bucket? I love scatological humor.
What the heck is a Bum Gun? Maybe I don't want to know.
Old 12-09-2012, 20:52   #116
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That and capacity. A composting toilet has a certain capacity beyond which it doesn't work so well. They may not be able to handle full time liveaboards.
Any system has a capacity max. A tank size, a marine coastal limit, a container, something.

In the case of any of the systems it's critical to understand that capacity and how to manage it.

In the case of composting heads, as with any, you EMPTY them when they reach capacity!

In our case, with the C-Head, you can bag it and carry it ashore to a dumpster, easier in my mind than pumping out liquid waste, or you have a secondary container into which you transfer material when the system is full. Our head uses a 5 gallon container with an adapted lid to hold the dry material. A 5 gallon container is small and pretty easily stowed. YOu can have more than one if for some reason you will be cruising in an area where you will not be able to reach shore to throw it away, or be in waters where dumping it over is appropriate.

The Natures Head could be transferred into a secondary container if needed , but easiest if you were able to make it to shore would be to bag it and throw it away.

To think that a composting head would hold waste until such a time that it was FULLY composted before emptying it seems to indicate a lack of understanding how the system works.

Which brings me back to; User error.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 21:08   #117

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
What the heck is a Bum Gun?
How to use a bum gun (with video tutorial)
Old 13-09-2012, 12:05   #118

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Any system has a capacity max. A tank size, a marine coastal limit, a container, something.

In the case of any of the systems it's critical to understand that capacity and how to manage it.

In the case of composting heads, as with any, you EMPTY them when they reach capacity!

In our case, with the C-Head, you can bag it and carry it ashore to a dumpster, easier in my mind than pumping out liquid waste, or you have a secondary container into which you transfer material when the system is full. Our head uses a 5 gallon container with an adapted lid to hold the dry material. A 5 gallon container is small and pretty easily stowed. YOu can have more than one if for some reason you will be cruising in an area where you will not be able to reach shore to throw it away, or be in waters where dumping it over is appropriate.

The Natures Head could be transferred into a secondary container if needed , but easiest if you were able to make it to shore would be to bag it and throw it away.

To think that a composting head would hold waste until such a time that it was FULLY composted before emptying it seems to indicate a lack of understanding how the system works.

Which brings me back to; User error.

Sarafina, could you explain what one should expect from a composting toilet. I'm pretty sure user error has something to do with the bad experiences of some sailors. I'm considering a Natures head but, I'd really like to know what I should expect in it's use. How long does it take to fully compost? I'm am the so called weekend warrior right now and just venturing into my cruising life. Weekends and a week or two once a year. It seems that type of use lends itself more readily to the composter toilets.

Thanks for any insights,
Danny
Lolita
1973 Viking 33
Buzzards Bay
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 12:51   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopdogg

Sarafina, could you explain what one should expect from a composting toilet. I'm pretty sure user error has something to do with the bad experiences of some sailors. I'm considering a Natures head but, I'd really like to know what I should expect in it's use. How long does it take to fully compost? I'm am the so called weekend warrior right now and just venturing into my cruising life. Weekends and a week or two once a year. It seems that type of use lends itself more readily to the composter toilets.

Thanks for any insights,
Danny
Lolita
1973 Viking 33
Buzzards Bay
I can speak of the Nature's Head because I have one. I can say it is absolutely a great way to go. It separates the solids from the liquids. My advise is to alway keep the liquids low and clean. The liquids is what can give any odor out. But that can be remedied with sugar believe it or not in the tank. We are part time live aboards (3 days a week) and there are two of us. I let the composting bin go for 7 months without cleaning. I got absolutely no odor whatsoever. When I did clean it it was odor free as well. Simply smelled like dirt. Really beats pump outs and nasty smelling heads. Highly recommended.
KeysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 13:20   #120

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysDreaming View Post
I can speak of the Nature's Head because I have one. I can say it is absolutely a great way to go. It separates the solids from the liquids. My advise is to alway keep the liquids low and clean. The liquids is what can give any odor out. But that can be remedied with sugar believe it or not in the tank. We are part time live aboards (3 days a week) and there are two of us. I let the composting bin go for 7 months without cleaning. I got absolutely no odor whatsoever. When I did clean it it was odor free as well. Simply smelled like dirt. Really beats pump outs and nasty smelling heads. Highly recommended.
KeysDreaming

7 months? Are you using it normally during those 3 days a week or are you supplementing with shore amenities?

I guess if you are taking care of business on Friday before heading to the boat, and you can wait till Sunday night upon your arrival home...that really only one day's worth of the "dry" stuff...?

It is sounding like this could be a good option for us
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine