Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Whadyadowith Yer Urine?
Carry to a real toilet 8 20.51%
Carry ashore and dump on dirt 0 0%
Dump in water 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 13:56   #61
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Blue Crab, you seem to be concerned that a cop will ask you what you do with urine and that you need to be able to demonstrate something to them. I'm not sure that you do. If you get inspected while the tank is full, and they ask what you plan to do with it I don't think you even owe them an answer. It's sitting in a portable holding tank on your boat. You'll deal with it legally when you need to deal with it. Unless you actually get apprehended in the act of dumping...you're not breaking any rules. Unless possession of urine is now a crime.

I just pee off the transom. It's one of those zen moments for me. And I make sure it splashes against the transom down just above the water line. Wouldn't do to just "dump" it in the ocean, ya know. This way.....it's runoff.

I do like the idea of putting it in a booze bottle, though. Just the thing to leave out for those looking for something to steal. Or as a parting gift to a particularly unhelpful local official.....
Old 13-01-2014, 14:14   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dave, in the Colonies we have smaller faeries.

Canibul, if it splashes off the transom then it has been "discharged" from the boat, and that's illegal. As opposed to a direct discharge from the producer, which is legal. Go figure.

I'm no topologist but I've had the pleasure to study under, ergh, around, ergh, well, in proximity to one. Scientifically speaking most monohulls are toruses, like donuts. Except, it is quite possible to have a torus with more than one "hole" in it. And as best I can figure, if I install a urinal in the hull of a boat, I am not discharging anything "From" the vessel, because when I am in the cabin I am still on the OUTSIDE of the torus and I'm not discharging anything "through" the torus, just passing it over the outside surface, which happens to include several "holes" like the hole in a donut. Which is not "in" the donut at all, but remains on the outside of it.

So the laws are fatally flawed, ill defined, topologically impaired, and the nice man in the uniform with a gun is just going to have to deal with that. I mean, watercops ALL know topology, don't they?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:01   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Trying to not be ridiclous, but I have had a Fl. marine cop tell me that it's legal to pee off the side of your boat, but if you pee in a cup and dump the cup, that's illegal.
Don't know why, but the head on my little boat came up, it's one that can only be pumped, no other way it can be emptied.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:25   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Oh, and somehow or another it's normal, acceptable to jump in the water to pee, but do it any other way and it's not?
This really cuts to the heart on the matter. Well put.

I do the cover of darkness in the harbor unless it is convenient to schlep it to the toilets.

As a technology point, the park service river guides in the Grand Canyon want people to pee in the water. On the bank is tough on the local life and as urine is considered sterile, not a bacterial threat in the water. They have considered the millions of gallons of dilution as rendering the pee of no consequence. This is their public position. Poo, however, they want buried well away from the water and sufficiently deep. I do not normally rely on government types to render good or correct decisions in most situations, however iI can make this exception. I figure the National Park Service to be the authority on piss & poo.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 16:13   #65

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This really cuts to the heart on the matter. Well put.

I do the cover of darkness in the harbor unless it is convenient to schlep it to the toilets.

As a technology point, the park service river guides in the Grand Canyon want people to pee in the water. On the bank is tough on the local life and as urine is considered sterile, not a bacterial threat in the water. They have considered the millions of gallons of dilution as rendering the pee of no consequence. This is their public position. Poo, however, they want buried well away from the water and sufficiently deep. I do not normally rely on government types to render good or correct decisions in most situations, however iI can make this exception. I figure the National Park Service to be the authority on piss & poo.
More credit then I personally give the government.

On the other hand, even dogs know where the pee goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	73908  
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 16:18   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Trying to not be ridiclous, but"
That's the letter of the law, and yes, it is ridiculous but that's the letter of the law.

Go find 'em and read 'em. You are not allowed to discharge any sewage from the vessel or any container or fixture or yadayada of or on the vessel. You, however, are allowed to do what all the other bears do in the woods.

We can now leave it to the religious folks to argue about whether the animated "vessels" of the Holy Spirit would be barred from emptying themselves while aboard a boat. In your spare time, explain to Congress why they need to hire some Ynglitch majors instead of their favorite nephews to actually write that stuff.

Wait till they find out there's no milk or cream in peanut butter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:25   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Trying to not be ridiclous, but I have had a Fl. marine cop tell me that it's legal to pee off the side of your boat, but if you pee in a cup and dump the cup, that's illegal.
Don't know why, but the head on my little boat came up, it's one that can only be pumped, no other way it can be emptied.
I believe legally in Florida (like most states) it is NOT a violation of the clean waters act to pee over the side, while discharging from a cup is a violation.

I believe that a Florida water cop (if he wanted to) would NOT give you a ticket for peeing over the side as a violation of the clean water act, rather he would arrest you and hit you with a charge of 'indecent exposure' and you would find yourself having to register as a 'sex' offender.....

;(
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:39   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
We found out one spring that when puppies pee on the lawn, you get faerie rings in the spring because the urine has great power as a fertilizer. So for a while we bottled the urine, aged it, and sold it as faerie fertilizer.

But these days we get a much higher price selling it to people who need to pass drug tests. Go figure.

Throwing away clean urine is exactly the same as pouring money down the toilet.
Fungi is propagated from spores not seeds,If your dog dispensed "Melzers reagent" I believe the fungi might react..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:51   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
Those aren't "Fairie rings" in the traditional sense. Fairie rings are rings of mushrooms caused by a large underground fungal mass sending up its reproductive sprouts at its perimeter.
Not that it matters but I think it is a mycillia(?sp) mat(largest living thing on earth!) and when it "bumps" into another mat it develops a "primordia"(sp?) that then turns into a mushroom(no sprouts)..not that it matters..
Old 13-01-2014, 18:56   #70

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Is it a coincidence the posters here on the urine thread know so much about mushrooms?
Old 13-01-2014, 19:11   #71

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Not that it matters but I think it is a mycillia(?sp) mat(largest living thing on earth!) and when it "bumps" into another mat it develops a "primordia"(sp?) that then turns into a mushroom(no sprouts)..not that it matters..
... or, in layman's terms...

Closer than rings of greener grass caused by bomb nitrates, anyway...
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:21   #72
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Is it a coincidence the posters here on the urine thread know so much about mushrooms?
Then there is the story about the Shamans of Siberia that eat the "Fly Aragic(Amanita Muscara(sp?)) then pee into a cup and "pass it around" seems the regular Joes cant take it full strength!! I have never wanted to experiance the "ethnoginic culture" that bad!..