Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 21:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Sea Recovery Boost Pump/ Test rest of system?

I have a really big 110 volt Sea Recovery Watermaker system on our boat, which had not been used in 10 years by the PO. However, the High Pressure pump comes on when you hit power. I asked a dealer to look and test it, but the Boost pump is frozen, and it is $2000 parts and labor to put a new boost pump in, with no idea if the rest of the system is good, bad, or a maybe.

does anyone have an extra used boost pump they might part with very reasonably, or maybe even rent to me, so I can have a boost pump to use to test the rest of the system. At $2000 that was 1500 for the pump and $500 labor, I can find the pump for $1200, but that is still a lot to sink in when I don't think that is a problem.

Mike
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 05:17   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Sea Recovery Boost Pump/ Test rest of system?

Not being used for ten years should be a big red flag to you that there will be a lot more than a boost pump to replace and work on. The membranes are certainly toast and many SR membranes are proprietary which can get expensive depending on the size of your watermaker. Just because the high pressure pump runs does not mean that after ten years all the seals will need to be replaced because it can not create the proper pressures and flow. Tread carefully here and make sure you are getting good advice.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 05:44   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

How specialized can this boost pump possibly be? As long as you have sufficient flow (4-5gpm?), you can use any old pump you have/borrow to test the system. Your galley pump is probably good enough for testing.

$1200 for a boost pump and $500 to install it sounds like robbery. $500 install??? - that is 5 hours at $100/hr. I don't think I spent 5hrs in total installing our entire modular system. Does this quote include his driving time from Minnesota?

Have you tried looking for an equivalent spec pump outside of SeaRecovery? It doesn't have to fit inside the specific mounting or cabinet, unless that is important to you. All you need is the correct flow rate and a continuous operation model. There are lots of great options there that are used in many other similar watermakers for <$300.

Also, pumps are just simple motors and heads - maybe take yours apart and determine if it is salvageable?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 15:42   #4

Circling back to this. Boost pump was ok, the shaft seal had frozen against the impeller. A little time with a wire wheel and all is well. But high pressure pump is pulling 16 amps with no load. So that is probably a 2k pump. But I shot a picture of the pump. It is an$750 retail pump, still available exact model, available new on Amazon for $325. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-11-2015, 17:11   #5

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I also have a big sea recovery water maker, and my booster pump recently gave up the ghost. I was able to use the same wet end and replaced the motor.

My first attempt was unsuccessful as I chose a pump that was only rated for 60hz and our genset is 50hz. My next choice of motor was a 50/60 model. (If anyone needs a 60hz 1/2hp 56j motor, let me know). The cost was probably $200 - one tenth of what you were quoted for a booster pump and perhaps an hour or two of install effort.

My main point is that these pumps are available piecemeal relatively inexpensively and you can repair and replace pieces yourself for a fraction of the prices most contractors or boatyards charge. OTOH, if you have more $ than the time and inclination to do it yourself, you can get someone to do it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 17:26   #6

I suppose everyone knows this, but most pumps have a plate that gives the manufacturer and all the specs. What is interesting to me is that on our Westbeke generator, 50hz is only for 220, but 60 hz is designated both 110 and 220. And it produces 5.3 kw at 220 v but 7.6 kw at 110 v.

I have attached a photo of the plate from our generator that specifies that.

Also, I have attached a copy of the electric motor plate directly on our high pressure pump motor. one of the really hard parts is getting the specs, I didn't study it, and left it at the shop to have them finish the analysis, I paid them about $800 to go through every piece of equiptment in the system, test it, let me know whether it had problems and what they would want to replace it, including parts numbers and costs. they were glad to have the work, and it gave me an exact roadmap of what I needed to do, since this is my first time through the system.

Final question, I understand that all membranes come from the same place. How do I buy replacement membranes, when I get it all back together, that are not stamped sea recovery, but are the specs, at substantially less cost?

Mike of the Spike
Old 03-11-2015, 03:21   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

In those SR watermakers with Energy Transfer Device (second pump without an electric motor) be careful when you replace the first pump or its motor. The recovery ratio in these watermakers is fixed by the ETD. Therefore if the first pump pushes too hugh a flow there will be no knob to keel the right pressure atd thd membrane.

In my experience you can get cheap identical (except for label) replacements for the electric pumps. I did not have luck with the membranes. I understand the only way to pay normal (not SR) membrane prices is to change to a standard size, which will upset the pressures a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:11   #8

Is there an article somewhere on how the pressures are changed by switching to three generic tubes (vessels?) rather than the SR ones? I need some science here. There is a lot of pressure going on to do this at random.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:52   #9

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
Is there an article somewhere on how the pressures are changed by switching to three generic tubes (vessels?) rather than the SR ones? I need some science here. There is a lot of pressure going on to do this at random.
I do not think you will find an article but you do not need it anyway.

If you give us all the details of your current system we can work it out from those details and the data and software from the membrane manufacturer.

I suggest you start by posting all details you have on the water maker, including photos of ID of the main watermaker box, the pumps, ETD if any, etc). We will take it from there to the point where you know how many membrane housings of what size to buy from the "generic" watermaker suppliers that take part in this forum.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12   #10

Thank you. Really do appreciate the assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-06-2020, 09:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Not being used for ten years should be a big red flag to you that there will be a lot more than a boost pump to replace and work on. The membranes are certainly toast and many SR membranes are proprietary which can get expensive depending on the size of your watermaker. Just because the high pressure pump runs does not mean that after ten years all the seals will need to be replaced because it can not create the proper pressures and flow. Tread carefully here and make sure you are getting good advice.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
Hi. What ever happen to your sea recovery. I am looking to buy used ro boost pump that doesnt work. Do you have this? I can send you picture of it. I am in California for next couple of days. Thank you.
mrroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 12:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
What is interesting to me is that on our Westbeke generator, 50hz is only for 220, but 60 hz is designated both 110 and 220. And it produces 5.3 kw at 220 v but 7.6 kw at 110 v.
At 60hz the engine is set to run faster. Usually 1500rpm for 50hz and 1800 for 60hz.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sea Recovery