Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 19:33   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Scoop Over Thru-Hull

I'm replacing 2 thru-hulls. The forward A/C thru-hull is shared with the anchor washdown pump. It has a scoop strainer over the outside of the thru hull. Is that needed? I thought those were only needed if underweigh and needing the water intake like an engine thru-hull intake. I will never run the A/C while running, only dockside.
Seems the strainer could trap stuff inside it between it and the thru-hull. When that happens, I'd need to go overboard to fix it.

I will have the large Perco sea strainer inside in-line before the A/C or the washdown pump.

If I get a clog in the thru-hull I could possibly unclog it from inside. I'll have a fitting that goes above the static waterline allowing either a garden hose flush out or possibly a coat hanger probe of the thru-hull.

Can I ditch the outside strainer?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:11   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Outside strainers are good for preventing little fish from entering the through-hull - I had one do it. And also for keeping sea grass/kelp from clogging the through-hull. On the other hand sea growth and barnacles will close off the outside strainer unless kept clean.
- - You can buy a "box" type external strainer - separate from the actual through-hull fitting - that has a removable stainless steel or bronze plate strainer. These are quite good as they do the job and can be easily cleaned.
- - If the waters you use the boat in are free of grass and curious little fish then the exterior strainer is more hassle than help. But if there is a lot of floating sea grass and other debris around the external screen is a big help.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:15   #3

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
You said it all...

I think you answerd your own question there. I personaly don't see the need for a scoop strainer for all the reasons you just laid out. I don't have any and never will as I try to keep maintenance items below the water line to a minimum.
Old 24-10-2010, 20:47   #4

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Ditch it. If you feel the need for an outside strainer, consider a round, perforated type that features a removable hinged grate such as this:Hinged Raw Water Strainer

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thru hull