Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 04:13   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: RULE Automatic Pump Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The pump shown in the picture is the newer design without a float switch.
This is what the ones with float switches look like.

I have one of the new ones on my boat. It does run a little longer than it would with a float switch, but it does shut off. My theory is that it takes a few seconds for the sensors to dry.
I'll buy that..but MANY on line suppliers have not changed their online catalogs yet...new pic andold description still together.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:41   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The auto position for my Rule 750 all in one pump quit working. The pump works fine with the switch in manual. Bought a new pump, still no auto function. Couldn't find a replacement Rule auto-off-manual pump locally so tried to substitute a generic on-off-on switch but no joy.

The Rule switch shows 12v with it on manual but nothing when switched to auto. The generic switch with 12v to the auto wire still no auto function from the pump.

Is there some magic in the Rule auto-off-manual pump that allows it to work with the 750 pump?? Is the switch or both pumps float switches not working?? Any ideas how to test the float switch in the pump???

Yes, I tried the pump with water in the bilge over the top of the pump.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:48   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It looks like your float switches are bad. In 'auto' mode the float switches control the pump. In the 'on' position you bypass the float switch. Could be corroded wires or bad switch.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:59   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mahalo for the help. Do you now what voltage, if any, there would be at the switch in 'auto' position??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 19:56   #20

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I have a bilge pump that comes on every 2 minutes. When not sensing pumping, it shuts down. It's very small and very reliable. I forget who makes it.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:24   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You should read house voltage across your float switch when the pump control is set to Auto. When the switch activates you wont read any voltage (or very little) across the float switch.

Bilge pump auto switch | Sea Pro Boating Forum
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:37   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
I have a bilge pump that comes on every 2 minutes. When not sensing pumping, it shuts down. It's very small and very reliable. I forget who makes it.
I'm pretty sure Rule is the only company that makes pumps that use that method to sense water. They don't seem to be very popular on pleasure boats but the Rule sales manager told me they sell a lot to commercial boats.

I made the mistake of mounting one on a small boat and I could hear it every time it checked for water. On a bigger boat where it's deep in a bilge and you can't hear it I think it would be fine.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:25   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

I made the mistake of mounting one on a small boat and I could hear it every time it checked for water. On a bigger boat where it's deep in a bilge and you can't hear it I think it would be fine.
Amen to that nonsense.
I read about that and did not buy one.
That would drive me crazy at night. BONKERS even!!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

YOU and Cruisers Forum.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

I have a brand new Rule Mate 1100, fitted professionally one month ago. Its in the forepeak, bottom of a Vee. It leaves 3-4 inches after pumping....and if we are in a rolly anchorage, the slop is enough to activate... so it pumps water for 5 seconds, and runs over for more than two minutes, waking everyone on board. Obviously designed by someone in the back office, who had never been on a boat. Its coming out next week.
SV Simple Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:18   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Content View Post
I have a brand new Rule Mate 1100, fitted professionally one month ago. Its in the forepeak, bottom of a Vee. It leaves 3-4 inches after pumping....and if we are in a rolly anchorage, the slop is enough to activate... so it pumps water for 5 seconds, and runs over for more than two minutes, waking everyone on board. Obviously designed by someone in the back office, who had never been on a boat. Its coming out next week.
The pump is functioning normally. The problem is you have a very narrow bilge. What happens is that the pump runs until it senses a dry bilge and then shuts off. The water in the hose then drains back through the pump and raises the water level, in the bilge, high enough to turn the pump on again. The cycle can repeat forever.

Who ever did the installation should have seen this problem before he put the pump in.

My boat has this same problem. There are a couple of ways to go. You can replace the 1100 with a 750 which uses a smaller hose so the hose doesn't hold as much water.

The other option is to install a check valve in the hose. Jabsco doesn't recommend this with the Rule Mate 1100 but people do it anyway.

Rule does make a pump that comes with a check valve that I think is ideal for your situation. It is their Low Profile Pump. It comes with a joker type check valve similar to the ones used on toilets. This type of valve is less likely to clog than a flap or spring type valve. I have two of these on my boat.
LP900 Rule LoPro Series > Rule Electric Submersible Pumps > Xylem Flow Control - Let's Solve Water.

I also have a 3500 pump installed higher. It will only come on if the other two can't handle the incoming water.

Tags
rule