Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 11:43   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Refer Insulation

For those thinking that a 33% increase in insulation R-Value of PolyIso over Blue Board isn't a "Big Deal, just remember the handy rule of thumb that if you double the R-Value of your Box, you cut the daily power usage in half.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:07   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
For those thinking that a 33% increase in insulation R-Value of PolyIso over Blue Board isn't a "Big Deal, just remember the handy rule of thumb that if you double the R-Value of your Box, you cut the daily power usage in half.
Well not exactly. When you keep the lid/door closed, not get anything out nor put anything in, then doubling the R-value means half the power usage.

However, when one drinks just as many cold beers a day and eats the same amount of food for which the fridge and freezer are used, it means not just opening and closing but also putting in warm items that need cooling etc. and this whole usage consumes much more energy than just the heat loading on a box that is never opened. It means that it will only help cut 10-20% off the energy usage in real life. Still good IMO
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:25   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
64--your top insulation might be wet.

It's not I checked. Surprisingly it's that white styrofoam that cheap coolers are made from, which I think cannot absorb moisture

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:10   #64

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Link to what I found on Polyiso , may be better if you use an inch of blue board on the cold side before the Polyiso.

I need to do a few tests .

http://www.ecohome.net/guide/polyiso...duct-learn-use

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20   #65
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Link to what I found on Polyiso , may be better if you use an inch of blue board on the cold side before the Polyiso.

I need to do a few tests .

http://www.ecohome.net/guide/polyiso...duct-learn-use

Regards
It's bogus....you will lose more with the 1/3 less R-value in using an inch of blue board than polyiso.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28   #66

Quote:
It's bogus....you will lose more with the 1/3 less R-value in using an inch of blue board than polyiso.

Nope.... looks real .

Read the PDF on the right of the linked page , it's not a huge difference but it is measurable.

Temperature Depend. of R-values in PIR Roof Insulation | BSC

Regards
Old 03-05-2016, 08:32   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bogus? So this document is bogus as well? :

http://buildingscience.com/file/3455...token=OowzEOu7

and that organization? Bogus as well?

I do not know how deep the freezer temperature penetrates into this insulation material which would be a deciding factor as can be seen in the performance graph of R for temperature range.

I also read that they adjust the R-value down to 5.6 which is very different than 6.5.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:48   #68

Wow in this study , it shows that XPS actually performs better as it gets cold !!!

In Cold Climates, R-5 Foam Beats R-6 | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Still makes me think that a hybrid approach may be better , 1 or 2 inchs XPS and 4 or 5 inches of Polyiso
Regards
Old 03-05-2016, 09:02   #69

Boat: Outremer 50S

From Typhoon's link (because I was there at the same time):

Quote:
This graph shows the thermal conductivity of a variety of insulation types at different mean temperatures. Clearly, polyisocyanurate behaves differently from all of the other insulation types shown on this graph. The temperature at which XPS starts to perform better than polyiso is about 10°C, or 50°F. At temperatures below 50°F, 1 inch of XPS will perform better than 1 inch of polyiso. [Graph credit: Building Science Corporation]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:10   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the love of Pete guys...
It is Bogus, test data shows it and you are not looking at the entire picture here and only seeing one piece of the puzzle. At the end of the day PolyIso wins...not because I think so...say so...or give a rats ass which product. I don't own stock in PolyIso, so what/why would I care, what do I have to gain by being wrong on this one? Nada...the easy thing is for me to shut up and let your home insulation folks lead you astray.

But guys...if you think you are the first to use google to come up with this better way...come on. This myth has been lab tested and I'm looking at the raw and summary data collected by a PHD Scientist first in 1999 and then duplicated with near to the same results again in 2013. But hey, part of learning is ruling things out. So set up your 7CF test box into 1/3 freezer and 2/3 refrigerator. Then test at 3 different ambient temps 70, 80 and 90 degs F. Run those test for 1 week each to get statistical relevant data being collected by a data logger and throw in 15-30 second box openings per day to make it realistic. After all of that what will you find...well I can tell you. You will find that 4" of PolyIso beats 1" of blue board and 3" of Polyiso, 2" of blue board and 2" of polyIso and then a 4" of poly vs 4" of blue board. I have no reason to BS and make **** up...what do I gain by that...but hey...test away.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:20   #71

Boat: Outremer 50S

So post the data, rather than saying "this really smart guy I know tested it, and trust me, it's true". Think that's pretty much the same response you have given on that other giant thread about a different kind of warming - "show me the data".
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:22   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
So post the data, rather than saying "this really smart guy I know tested it, and trust me, it's true". Think that's pretty much the same response you have given on that other giant thread about a different kind of warming - "show me the data".
Na...do the testing yourself...you will learn a few interesting things and I wouldn't want to stifle the learning process...

And besides, busting internet rumors isn't a good enough reason to give away thousands of dollars in R&D.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Rich , we have to go by what we see time and time again . There is a lot of data on this phenomenon. Show us what you have found , I know it must have been a lot of work to gather your data as it probably was for all those studies that have already been done . We would love to see what you found .

Regards
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29   #74

Quote:
Na...do the testing yourself...you will learn a few interesting things and I wouldn't want to stifle the learning process...

And besides, busting internet rumors isn't a good enough reason to give away thousands of dollars in R&D.
Ok will do, I will post what I find , I will try to keep it a very simple test , probably not as good as yours but I will try .

Regards
Old 03-05-2016, 09:42   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you paid thousands of dollars to get that data then I wouldn't give it away either, but also I would not post the results either in that case... but you did and then try to defend it without a single citation. Very unscientific.

I just wonder why this other club would try to scam us? We could sue them if they send out BS on purpose.

On the other hand, I did find hints at other sources but not in fact any other source for this weird data so it may well be a hoax. Strange that others then try to hide other lab results etc. so this is all smoke and mirrors from every side.

I do not see anyone reacting to the downwards change for it's avg R value to 5.6 or 5.7, which is listed by many sources. This makes it only 10% better than the blue boards.

Tags
insulation