Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2022, 14:24   #1

Boat: Cape George 36
Raritan PHII leaks EVERYWHERE! Alternatives?

This thing has probably handled all of 50 loads of that but it leaks constantly from the pump base, the hose fittings, and the water inlet fitting at the back of the bowl which finally sheared off after I apparently overtightend it in my 8th time trying to get it to stop leaking, this time bedding it in silicone sealant. To “fix” it is gonna require a new bowl at this point.

I’m done with this model. Recommend me another brand/model that doesn’t keep my bilge pump busy and my head floor wet. Could be manual, electric, atomic powered, I don’t care as long as it doesn’t leak all the damn time and fits in roughly the same footprint.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 14:35   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Raritan PHII leaks EVERYWHERE! Alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraGH View Post
This thing has probably handled all of 50 loads of that but it leaks constantly from the pump base, the hose fittings, and the water inlet fitting at the back of the bowl which finally sheared off after I apparently overtightend it in my 8th time trying to get it to stop leaking, this time bedding it in silicone sealant. To “fix” it is gonna require a new bowl at this point.

I’m done with this model. Recommend me another brand/model that doesn’t keep my bilge pump busy and my head floor wet. Could be manual, electric, atomic powered, I don’t care as long as it doesn’t leak all the damn time and fits in roughly the same footprint.
Sorry to hear about your troubled head.
If you tighten with all your might and it still leaks, the hose size is improper.
I have one (same make/model) that never leaked in many years. I suspect that the problem is with the hose sizes and a need for pump rebuild.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 16:07   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Peg Hall says that the Raritan PHII is one of the most durable and well-made heads available on the market today. Peg Hall really knows her stuff. So I'm thinking it's a user-error, lack of or improper maintenance issue.

I would start with buying her book -- "Get Rid of Boat Odors" (available on Amazon, among other places). It's an easy-read, yet enormously full of useful information.

Don't let the book title mislead you. It's not just about odors. She also tells you how to rebuild heads, which brands warrant rebuilding and which ones are basically throw-aways and should be replaced (the Raritan PHII definitely falls into the "rebuild" category, not the "throwaway" category in most cases). And you'll probably learn enough about the subject to avoid repeating your experience with your next head, whichever brand you decide on.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 17:27   #4

Sounds to me like the outlet pipe is blocked, or the tank vent is blocked.

Never had any trouble with leaking from mine. Did replace the pump assembly after 25 years, but that was due to some backflow to the bowl.
Old 30-01-2022, 06:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

It's almost certain that your problems are self-inflicted and will happen again no matter what make/model toilet.

Two most common reasons why toilets leak: 1. Hoses that pull to one side, often due to using a straight fitting where a 90 or 45 is needed. This causes the fitting to lift away from the gasket on that side.

2. Over-tightening fittings in an effort to stop the leak. This causes rubber gaskets to pucker around the bolt or screw, actually making the leak worse. The more you tighten, the worse it leaks and--as you've already experienced--can even damage a fitting. (I THINK you can replace the cracked inlet fitting...call Raritan tech support: 800-352-5630)

First you need to do whatever is necessary to relax any "sideways" stress the hose is causing...replace hose fittings, reroute the hose. Then you'll need new gaskets 'cuz the rubber now has permanent puckers. And this time only tighten the bolts/screws barely snug. Run water through it to check each connection for leaks (I'd do one connection at a time)...tighten only 1/4 turn more and check again. Repeat till that connection no longer leaks, then do the next one.

And at the risk of appearing self-serving, I second Bobby's suggestion that you get a copy of my book (see link in my signature below...just click on the title). There's a whole bunch of information in it that will help you learn how to PREVENT problems--including this one--instead of having to fix 'em.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Peg Hall says that the Raritan PHII is one of the most durable and well-made heads available on the market today. Peg Hall really knows her stuff. So I'm thinking it's a user-error, lack of or improper maintenance issue.

I would start with buying her book -- "Get Rid of Boat Odors" (available on Amazon, among other places). It's an easy-read, yet enormously full of useful
I have her book. This head is rather new but has leaked constantly since installation from multiple fittings and no I didn’t use the wrong hoses. If it needs maintenance after 50 flushes it’s garbage.

Possibly I got a lemon? I have not had a good experience with it at all. Looking for alternative the fit in the same footprint or close. Could be more expensive. Don’t care as long as it works. $500 for this leaky plastic dog is a joke.
Old 30-01-2022, 09:42   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Tightening everything as tight as you possibly can is probably the source of the problem. Read the instructions about how much to tighten things. It will work properly if you install it properly.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Sounds to me like the outlet pipe is blocked, or the tank vent is blocked.

Never had any trouble with leaking from mine. Did replace the pump assembly after 25 years, but that was due to some backflow to the bowl.
Most leaking is on the inlet side.
Old 30-01-2022, 10:42   #9

Boat: Shopping...

We have lived aboard for 4 years pretty much full time. Same head. Zero problems.
Old 30-01-2022, 11:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

No, you didn't get a lemon. Apparently you miss my post to you at 8:30 this morning.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 11:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
No, you didn't get a lemon. Apparently you miss my post to you at 8:30 this morning.

--Peggie
I read it. I did that. Tell me, should it not also leak around the pump shaft? Because I’m not sure what to tighten for that. It doesn’t just leak at the points I assembled. It leaks everywhere and while I’ve had it awhile, I didn’t put it into regular service until November. Also, none of MY plumbing around it is leaking.

No interested in wasting more time on this product.
Old 30-01-2022, 11:48   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

It's a good head. Take it apart and rebuild with new hoses or pay someone to do it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 12:19   #13

Quote:
I read it. I did that. Tell me, should it not also leak around the pump shaft? Because I’m not sure what to tighten for that. It doesn’t just leak at the points I assembled. It leaks everywhere and while I’ve had it awhile, I didn’t put it into regular service until November.

outside of occasionally (5 years) rebuilding the pumps with a new kit (seals etc) I have three Raritan ii heads with pumps back to 1974.
I would suggest you go on their website and look at the schematic for parts.

If this pump was sitting for a while (assume years) and/or had any alcohol based antifreeze at some point, your issue is seals are dried out (heat, time) or the antifreeze used destroyed the seals.

For all practical suggestion, it is one of the best and simpler pumps on the market.

Look on the side of the pump housing to see which model number/serial number you have. The numbers are molded into the plastic.
Then order the correct kit and install per instructions ($ 60?). If you have broken something, that must be ordered.
Anew head pump is $350-$400.

Groco is a great and robust head if it can be found- but dollars.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 12:24   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You want a new head? Fine.

Get a Lavac. Dead simple. Reliable. easily serviced. Not everyones cup of tea.

I have 2 on one boat and 1 on the small boat.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 12:26   #15

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I read it. I did that. Tell me, should it not also leak around the pump shaft? Because I’m not sure what to tighten for that. It doesn’t just leak at the points I assembled. It leaks everywhere and while I’ve had it awhile, I didn’t put it into regular service until November. Also, none of MY plumbing around it is leaking.

If you are adamant about replacing the unit I would suggest you get the best and simplest of all manual heads - the Blakes Lavac from England. Having had one for 15 years on my previous boat, I can vouch that nothing beats it.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, raritan