Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 22:24   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Raritan LetroSan Head Dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I have both a holding tank and an ElectroScan.

The manual of the ElectroScan (not referring to the Lectrasan) has error codes and tells you what is happening.
It also recommends cleaning the unit every six months.
If people don't follow directions, that's not the fault of the manufacturer, and not proof they "are junk".

Don't give a 16 year old a Lambo and call it junk when they crash into a tree while powersliding around a tight curve.

Exactly my point, it's a lot of maintenance to use these units properly and have the results we want, my experience with many boaters and repairs, they don't maintain these properly and really don't want this task.
It's an easily avoided situation, that unfortunately a lot of boaters avoid.
These things ain't Lambos either. Pretty simple technology that's been in use since the 40s.
So my opinion that they are "junk" is mainly because there are more failing units out there than working.
That's why they keep updating them, more electronics, for failures, so the end user is shown that there is a problem.
In reality, it's just more complicated for the end user, frustrated user then stop fixing and hope they work.
They also cost a lot more than a holding tank install, generally.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 22:37   #17

Boat: Cal 2-27

We have this set up on our boat. I can't speak of problems with the fit or function as it is never used.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 22:44   #18

Raritan LetroSan Head Dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Had a LectroSan on my previous boat. Worked find for 10 years, 3 of theose years in daily use and we did use toilet paper though it was single thickness paper not Charmin. Have an ElecroScan, newer model in current boat but haven't hooked it up yet.

FWIW, sewage does not need to be treated in salt water. Pathogens are very short lived in salt water. Not a good idea to have a ton of boats in a confined marina using the head but doubt there are very many that do if the shore facilities are functioning. Of course, every time they have a hard rain, the shoreside sewage treatment plants dump untreated sewage by the millions of gallons into the local waters. Questionable whether using the marina's heads is doing anything under those circumstances.

The stampede to NDZ is just the poo nazis and politicians trying to justify their enormous salaries.

Looks like you live in Hawaii. So I don't expect you have issues with algae blooms and such associated with close quarter bays and inlets. I live in Washington State, it's more about the total nutrient levels in the water that cause algae blooms and unless cities release untreated sewage into the waters here pathogens are a minor concern.
FYI! Untreated sewage releases into State waters in Washington is very illegal, Canada not so much, however that is changing there quickly.
Your last comment is very concerning to me, NDZ are aimed at eliminating some of the known source pollution here in Wa.
It's got to be implemented in many more instances, really to bad your not on board to help clean up the waters, but many more are and are installing holding tanks and lobbying for more and more Pumpouts.
If we don't do theses things, we will lose a lot of very valuable fishing, crabbing, shell fishing and Orca Whales as well as uncontrolled algae, and algae blooms.
It's happening now in many studies here.
The very warm winters here have hastened this.
So, these aren't Nazi police and politicians stuffing their pockets, changes that are long overdue are being brought into effect.
No matter if you think it's unfair to you, remember it's not all about you, it's the waters and future generations to come that end up suffering, we must face this reality.

Old 14-03-2015, 22:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
We have this set up on our boat. I can't speak of problems with the fit or function as it is never used.

To me that is the best scenario, do lay it up properly although, as the manual suggests not using it can cause problems too. Flush it well with fresh water before layup, or none use.

Old 15-03-2015, 11:18   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

BYD,
That's exactly what I do.
Use it in the summer, lay it up in the winter, draining it to protect from freeze.
In a sense, it's similar to watermaker maintenance, but I don't hear too many people calling their watermakers "junk".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

FWIW, sewage does not need to be treated in salt water. Pathogens are very short lived in salt water. Not a good idea to have a ton of boats in a confined marina using the head but doubt there are very many that do if the shore facilities are functioning. Of course, every time they have a hard rain, the shoreside sewage treatment plants dump untreated sewage by the millions of gallons into the local waters. Questionable whether using the marina's heads is doing anything under those circumstances.

The stampede to NDZ is just the poo nazis and politicians trying to justify their enormous salaries.
Ah, a voice of reason and intelligence. Thanks for the dose of rationality.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
......it's a lot of maintenance to use these units properly and have the results we want, my experience with many boaters and repairs, they don't maintain these properly and really don't want this task.
It's an easily avoided situation, that unfortunately a lot of boaters avoid.
These things ain't Lambos either. Pretty simple technology that's been in use since the 40s.
So my opinion that they are "junk" is mainly because there are more failing units out there than working.
That's why they keep updating them, more electronics, for failures, so the end user is shown that there is a problem.
In reality, it's just more complicated for the end user, frustrated user then stop fixing and hope they work.

Then don't worry about it. If they're so bad at maintenance, then their engines don't work and they never go on their boats.

Issue solved.

What's the problem?
Old 15-03-2015, 11:51   #23

Quote:
Looks like you live in Hawaii. So I don't expect you have issues with algae blooms and such associated with close quarter bays and inlets. I live in Washington State, it's more about the total nutrient levels in the water that cause algae blooms and unless cities release untreated sewage into the waters here pathogens are a minor concern.
FYI! Untreated sewage releases into State waters in Washington is very illegal, Canada not so much, however that is changing there quickly.
Your last comment is very concerning to me, NDZ are aimed at eliminating some of the known source pollution here in Wa.
It's got to be implemented in many more instances, really to bad your not on board to help clean up the waters, but many more are and are installing holding tanks and lobbying for more and more Pumpouts.
If we don't do theses things, we will lose a lot of very valuable fishing, crabbing, shell fishing and Orca Whales as well as uncontrolled algae, and algae blooms.
So, these aren't Nazi police and politicians stuffing their pockets, changes that are long overdue are being brought into effect.
No matter if you think it's unfair to you, remember it's not all about you, it's the waters and future generations to come that end up suffering, we must face this reality.

That is such utter BS it is staggering. Really.

Runoff and sewage dumps contribute more to the quality of water than if ALL THE BOATS, every single one, went out and dumped their 15 gallon holding tanks.

And we all know how many boats in any given marina, especially here out west where boats are in the water 24/7/365, are actually USED. Maybe 10%.

It's political gamesmanship from people who don't know any better. Picking on a small number of citizens who happen to own boats.

Whether Peter is in Hawaii or is your next door neighbor in your marina, you're just wrong.

Peggie Hall, who literally wrote the book on heads and boat odors, knows her stuff and has said as much.

Look, a majority of boaters are as good stewards of the environment as you can find, and none of us wants a yucky harbor or marina.

But the poo-nazis are out of control.

And, look, it isn't just Peter, and me and a LOT of other boaters. No one's trying to take away my rights or yours to take a whizz or a dump.

What they are DOING IS PLAYING CHICKEN-LITTLE WITH A NON-ISSUE - BOATERS - WHEN THEY SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON RUN-OFF AND SEWAGE TREATMENT.

No pump outs, or you need more? Then get the poo-nazis to do THAT.

We have a free pump out at our marina and a half mile away at our fuel dock.

British Columbia tried this crap (pi!) a year or so ago: No pump outs but tried NDZ legislation, all the while Victoria was pumping its sewage out in YOUR waters. Didn't fly then, shouldn't. Ever.

Get real.

Please.
Old 15-03-2015, 13:36   #24

Right on Stu!!!! Here where I live N.E. Mass. we are ndz, but when it rains heavily or there is to much snow on the ground, the municipalities, open the valves, and let flow. I used to run the municipal pump out boat. If when I went to the pump out dock, to pump out, it was broken, I had to go out the river a little ways per H.M. and dump the tank, then go back up river, and pump out again. If this is such a wonderful thing, why are municipalities able to dump, but only them. Oh wait, it must be because they are part of the b.s. system trying to control the public.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:12   #25

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Algie blooms are a natural event fed by nutients that come from the sea with the tides.
Has to be an enormous nutient run-off to make an impression on the nutient levels supplied via the tides. (Except perhaps Chesapeake and similar where tide range is minimal and river inflow is high. These examples are the ones greenies have thrived on.)
The non-scientic greenies have been playing silly games with councils for decades.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:28   #26

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I had and used a Letrasan, for about 15 years, including several years offshore liveaboard. They do work, and to say they don't, and can't take paper is just BS. They do, like most things boating, require ongoing maintenance.
In the time we had it, we went thru 3 electrode packs, a main circuit board, and 2 switch panels. They are a bit expensive to run. However, I also don't like the idea of a holding tank.
Currently I've just removed the lectrsan (it needed another electrode pack, and new motor seals - starting to smell) and I'm installing an Airhead. We'll see how that goes.
Old 15-03-2015, 18:19   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:

Your problems with water quality are limited to very small areas like the Hood Canal and have nothing to do with boats. The problems is shoreside houses with inadequate treatment facilities, municipal sewage, runoff from roads, yards and agriculture. If every boater in Washington State ate bad Mexican food and pumped their heads overboard, it would have virtually no effect on water quality.
Notice I said salt water, fresh or brackish water is another story as pathogens will survive in fresh water so don't look to me to help you Lake Washington boaters.

A couple of years ago the high pressure sewage pipe servicing Waikiki Broke and dumped sewage into the AlaWai Canal. For those familiar with Waikiki that's the waterway under the bridge that you cross going to Ala Moana Shopping Ctr. and Ala Wai Boat Harbor. The entire poo production of Waikiki was pumped into waters that dumped into the ocean right next to the beach for more than a day. Within two days of fixing the leak, there was no sewage detectable and swimming and surfing at Waikiki was back to normal.

So, yes there are "Poo Nazis" and self serving politicians who like to ruin it for everybody else. I grew up with an outhouse and will not turn my boat into one.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:39   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Over twenty years ago, the same thing happened with the sewer line serving all of Mercer Island.
It broke between the Eastern shore of the island and the East side trunk line.
Apparently a barge dragged anchor or something like that and Mercer Island's sewage spilled into the lake for a week before being discovered. This happened in summertime in only 30 feet of water with virtually no current.
The local swimming beach was closed and after the pipe was repaired, MIRACULOUSLY the lake's beach was opened for swimming after only THREE DAYS.
It's amazing how poo can be so toxic when the gummint wants it to be and such not a factor when politically expedient for swimmers and voters.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 20:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
BYD,
That's exactly what I do.
Use it in the summer, lay it up in the winter, draining it to protect from freeze.
In a sense, it's similar to watermaker maintenance, but I don't hear too many people calling their watermakers "junk".

Sorry. I did not mean to offend.
They are not junk, maybe a bit user unfriendly?

Tags
head, raritan