Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 06:31   #1

Pressurized fresh water pump triggered every 2 hours

For the last few weeks, our pressurized fresh water pump is being triggered every 2 hours or so for about half a second.

So far I have yet to find a leak. Could this be a sign of another issue besides a leak somewhere?
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 06:35   #2

Re: Pressurized fresh water pump triggered every 2 hours

Doubtful. From the pressure side of the pump to the faucets, the sensor is detecting a decrease in pressure until the threshold is tripped and the pump fires and repressurizes the system again.

There is a leak somewhere. If it's not the faucets themselves or any connector in the system, then I would look hard at your hotwater heater.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 07:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

If there is a leak in the system, the water will show up in the bilge. If this is happening, you bilge pump will also be cycling. So, check the bilge. If there is no fresh water in the bilge, and the pump is not cycling, it is probably the check valve. The check valve could be on the pump or a separate assembly, depends on how the boat was built.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 07:44   #4

I had this exact situation. Because my bilge is normally dusty dry, it was easy to tell that there was a leak. It turned out to be a cracked “T” fitting in an extremely difficult to access place.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 08:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

I had the same problem. Finally found a leaking check valve. So my bet is it's a leaking check valve somewhere in the system. Put in a shut off valve after the pump which will help you troubleshoot the problem in the future.

Good luck,

Glenn Tuttle
M/V Tothill
GB-46
Abacos, Bahamas
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:03   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
For the last few weeks, our pressurized fresh water pump is being triggered every 2 hours or so for about half a second.

So far I have yet to find a leak. Could this be a sign of another issue besides a leak somewhere?
Check your bulge. Any pressure system leaks will end up there. Taste any water in the bulge to see if it is fresh. If you have fresh water in the bulge it is a leak.
Check the connections at the deck wash?
Also sometimes the actual hose develops a pin hole leak between connections.
FYI I am in the middle of changing all the brittle plastic T pieces with brass and changing all the jubilee clips as well.
Easily the most PITA job on a boat.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:06   #7

very single pump has a troubleshooting guide in their manuals. If you don't have a hard copy, just download one, and follow it. Leaks, check valve, pressure switch, diaphragm. Good luck.

Someone said it was their check valve. In my case it was a tiny crack in a hose to the head sink hidden under the engine bed. No guarantee yours would be either of these two either.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you can’t find an external leak, it’s likely the check valves in the pump are allowing water to leak back from the discharge side of the pump to the tank side.

At once every two hours for only a second or so, I’d ignore it for a while. Sooner or later it will happen often enough to be annoying, that’s when you fix it.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:10   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

We've just had this!

In our case, it was a microscopic crack in the hot water line not far from the hot water tank. This with the Whale Quick Connect hard plastic piping.

The resulting spray, almost an atomised mist, was just enough to trigger the water pump occasionally (a couple of time a night, which is when we noticed it) but not enough to leave a huge amount of water in the bilge.

We eventually found the leak in a remote area, due to the very small pool of water that was trapped in a corner of that locker. Suggest you trace all piping, starting with the hot system, looking for a similar tell-tale.

Good luck with the detective work!
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:27   #10

Boat: L420

Be sure to check your accumulator. Many have an air bladder with a valve, just like you find on a bike or tire tube, pump this bladder up to about 10 or 12 psi with a bike tire pump. Check it with a tire gauge first. This bladder provides a cushion for the pump and system. It also provides initial system pressure and keeps the pump from cycling.
If the bladder seems fine, get the system pressurized and turn off power to the pump. After an hour or two open the highest faucet in the system. Is the initial head pressure good, system still pressurized?
If not, begin isolating and find the loss of pressure.
Happy hunting.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:37   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Might not show up in the bilge if the leak is at the transom shower.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:38   #12

Boat: ODAY 28

from what you stated it will be very hard to find, as stated before recheck all connections for condition and security, if all check ok I would start at the pump press sw and valves first' how old is your pump
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 10:02   #13

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I have the same problem right at this moment and I just discovered a very very slow drip out of the pump itself in the cupboard in the kitchen. The drip is so small that it’s just getting sucked up on wood and evaporating before it can get to the bilge. I have been searching for weeks for the leak. The pump has been making a lot more noise lately so I’m going to replace it today.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 10:05   #14

Boat: Southern Cross 35

It's a lot to ask the system to hold pressure indefinitely; I'll bet you never find all the minute leaks. The accumulator could be leaking air as previously mentioned, which is difficult to detect. We just turn off the pump at breaker when we are not using it. Simple, and it does not wake us up in the night.
tmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 10:09   #15

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Lots of good suggestions to check. In my experience, a probable cause is a cracked diaphragm in your fresh water pump. In addition to pumping water, the diaphragm acts as a check valve. A crack or pinhole leak will give these symptoms. If not that, don't forget to check the temperature and pressure relief valve on your hot water heater. They can develop small leaks. If plumbed to an overboard overflow hose you'll never see the leak. Note: Do not remove this valve and replace with a plug or wire it closed... your hot water heater can become a bomb if you do!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water