Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 21:08   #16

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Re: Plumbing and head question

Just an update. Ordered new head and hoses. But, pulled the old head and hoses out today. I'm glad I did. The head was not MSD, but a porta potty that PO drilled bottom and through hole in bottom. Hose from head under deck to "T" just flex hose.

It's all gone now. Going to cap/plug the valve for the discharge and just run pump out only. Thank you to all those who helped me with this.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 11:36   #17

Ok, so new head and hose installed. Gate valve is frozen in the close position (and not leaking), so I plugged the open end.

However, with the MSD discharge facing up and the factory through hole to under the V berth low, I ended up with a loop. Can't find anything that says this will be an issue. Does anyone here see an issue with the up/down the back up to deck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	148551  
Old 27-05-2017, 11:42   #18

Better shot. Don't know how to rotate sorry
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	122
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	148552  
Old 27-05-2017, 14:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

However, with the MSD discharge facing up and the factory through hole to under the V berth low, I ended up with a loop. Can't find anything that says this will be an issue. Does anyone here see an issue with the up/down the back up to deck?

I do. Why didn't you just run it up to the deck? There's no possible way that a pumpout fitting can be under the v-berth, so that hose should just be going up to a pumpout fitting on the side deck, not down and under the v-berth. Since you apparently don't intend to dump the tank, it doesn't make any sense to route it the way you did.

So you need to install a deck pumpout fitting if the boat doesn't already have one and re-route your tank discharge line directly to it.

And btw, I don't see a vent line in any of your photos...that's essential for two reasons: 1. you won't be able to pump out without a vent unless someone is holding the "trap door" in the bottom of bowl open let air in while you do it... 2. you won't have the source of air needed to prevent odors in the tank that'll make holding the trap door so unpleasant for the person who has to do it while you man the pumpout that no one will do that a second time...and 3. summer heat--especially the kind you get in AZ--can create enough bacteria activity in even a portapotty tank to pressurize it while the boat sits between weekends. Trust me, you don't want that to happen! So install a vent, which may also require installing a vent thru-hull for it. Easy to do.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 15:23   #20

The vent line is the tinted clear hose under the 1.5 discharge.

There is a vent and pump out fitting on deck. However, they are forward of the head on the deck. I have no idea why the deck fittings are not above the head. There is a 1.5 hole lower forward into the locker under the V berth. From there 1.5 hole through the v berth and to deck fitting.

The po cut the bottom and ran under floor into v berth. I believe I followed the original route due to the routing and perfect cut holes. The only way I can see to not run under v berth would be to run up at an angle and cut bulkhead high into the v berth. I really do not want to cut new deck holes to move vent and pump out back if I can avoid it.

Again no clue what I'm doing. Yet, have a firm belief that moving the deck fittings and patching the old holes is beyond my ability.
Old 27-05-2017, 15:33   #21

Head, into v berth
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	105
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	148563  
Old 27-05-2017, 15:35   #22

Can't seem to get more than one pic at a time. Under v berth into berth
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	148564  
Old 27-05-2017, 15:36   #23

And into deck fittings
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	148565  
Old 27-05-2017, 19:00   #24
Marine Service Provider

Again no clue what I'm doing.

At least you know and admit it...that puts you WAAAY ahead of a whole bunch of people!

Yet, have a firm belief that moving the deck fittings and patching the old holes is beyond my ability.

Prob'ly not really beyond your ability, and prob'ly not necessary either. But that doesn't rule out any holes in other places.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, plumbing