Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 04:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Odor from Macerator

There is holding tank odor in the locker than my macerator is. The locker does connect to the the locker than has the holding tank, but the smell in the macerator locker is different. This has been going on for years and the hoses have been replaced with the high end 101 hoses. Is it possible the odor is acturally are coming from the pump itself (standard Jabsco type macerator)?

Anyone experienced the same?
Old 27-02-2018, 05:09   #2

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Odor from Macerator

Just install a composter. .....
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 06:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Is it possible the odor is acturally are coming from the pump itself (standard Jabsco type macerator)?

It is if the macerator pump is old...'cuz seals do wear out. So you could have a slight leak. Jabsco offers a "service" kit for it. But it could also be residual odor left from stinky hoses you've replaced.

Whichever it is, there's a product called PureAyre PureAyre that will eliminate any odor. It's available from pet stores, even Walmart. But you can't get rid of any odor until you remove the source...'cuz as long as the source remains, it'll just keep creating more odor. So if the macerator is leaking, you'll have to thoroughly clean that area--after you've replaced the seals--first and then spray every surface, nook a cranny with PureAyre. If you're sure it's not leaking, replacing hoses should have removed the source unless there was a spill when you disconnected the old ones...in which case, you'd have to clean the area first. So it'll prob'ly be a good idea just to do that first anyway.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:43   #4
CLOD

I've sprayed that area down with the pure aye stuff a few times and also bleach .it must be the pump
Old 27-02-2018, 08:12   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I used to have a jabsco macerator that had developed a very small seal leak. Not enough to drip, but enough to wet the shaft with “stuff”. It stunk.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 08:18   #6

Boat: Carver 356

Try flushing a cup of white vinegar down your head every couple of weeks.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:01   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Try flushing a cup of white vinegar down your head every couple of weeks.
And what is that going to do? 1 cup of very weak acid into a 25 gal tank of poo and pee?
Old 27-02-2018, 10:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And what is that going to do? 1 cup of very weak acid into a 25 gal tank of poo and pee?
I suspect Chuck thought you were talking about a macerating toilet. He's just
However, white vinegar won't do much if anything for odor anywhere in the system, but a cupful or two flushed all the way to the tank every week or two will prevent mineral buildup in the toilet discharge line. Follow with plenty of clean fresh water after about 45 minutes.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 27-02-2018, 10:49   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Peg,

Can you point to any studies showing vinegar to be effective against build up in discharge lines? Everything I have read shows it to be ineffective.

Example . . .

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/vinegar_in_the_head

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:35   #10

Same as Sailmonkey, mine dribbles out the sides even though the seller said he rebuilt them both. Hosed it down, quit using it, stink stopped. Ordered a new one...
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 12:50   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What a depressing problem.

Of course, Peggy's right. But I just want to extend my sympathy....and I hope yours is easier to get at to replace than ours is.

Ann
Old 27-02-2018, 14:05   #12

Boat: Catalina 387

If your Jabsco macerator is of a certain age, the 4 studs that hold the pump to the motor are brass. Brass does not do well steeping in sewage, and they end up corroding and leaking. First very slowly then pretty massively. Better to catch the problem before the massive stage.

I'd replace the macerator. They're not all _that_ expensive.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 14:15   #13

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I suspect Chuck thought you were talking about a macerating toilet. He's just
However, white vinegar won't do much if anything for odor anywhere in the system, but a cupful or two flushed all the way to the tank every week or two will prevent mineral buildup in the toilet discharge line. Follow with plenty of clean fresh water after about 45 minutes.

Peggie
Yes, Peggie, you're right. I was also only suggesting vinegar for the macerator and hoses. I know it doesn't help with the holding tank.
I'm glad you chimed in as I was going to say, I got the idea from you.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 14:30   #14
CLOD

My current macerator is about 9 months old and the body bolts are SS and aren't loose near as I can tell. The last pump literally fell apart!!!!

The pump area doesn't get a lot of of air flow and yesterday the tank was pumped out. So only gas from the holding tank was up the suction hose. My theory is that the gas gets by the seals even though it doesn't appear that liquid does and since the locker has little air flow it collects.

If it wasn't at the head of the bed I probably wouldn't get as pissed off.
Old 27-02-2018, 14:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Bleemus;2586542]Peg,
Can you point to any studies showing vinegar to be effective against build up in discharge lines? Everything I have read shows it to be ineffective./QUOTE]

I checked out the link you provided. It doesn't address PREVENTION, only cure...and didn't even show doing that as it needs to be done.

If you start with clean hose, regular doses of a cupful or two of undiluted distilled white vinegar will PREVENT buildup....that's been proven many times by many boat owners.

Vinegar can also dissolve buildup, but it takes too long and is too labor intensive. Few people including the "expert" in the video know that, for vinegar to dissolve a buildup, it has to be replaced about every 45-60 minutes with fresh vinegar, and can take hours--even days--so they jump to the conclusion that no results even after several hours soaking in a single application of vinegar is "proof" that vinegar doesn't work. It can, but it just requires waaaay more time and effort than it's worth when a single dose of muriatic acid or Sew Clean--maybe two doses--can clean even the worst buildup out of a hose in as little as an hour or two.

Peggie

Tags
odor