Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2007, 07:31   #31

Borocay;

Haven't seen the problems you're talking about in regards to backflow. I've got a Y valve from the head going overboard or to a holding, and then from the holding tank another Y valve that goes to the deck fitting or another mark 5 manual for overboard discharge of the tank.

I do have a fairly new setup (barely a few months old), but haven't noticed that problem, for whatever that's worth.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:09   #32

Boat: MaineCat41 Double Diamond
I have 2 Lavacs, both with holding tanks above. I have had some problems with backflow. Even if you pump the bowl dry, there is water in the line from the outlet of the pump to the holding tank inlet. If (when) the check valve leaks, this will flow back into the bowl. I like the use of 1 big diaphragm pump, which doesn't clog. The outlet at the bottom of the bowl is less than 1" dia., smaller than the hoses, so if there is an obstruction it is easy to clear at that point. What I didn't like was having to have the lid down when pumping (to create the vacuum to draw the flushing water in). You can't see what's happening, so you tend to use a lot of flush water. That's bad with holding tanks. My modification was to remove the sealing rings, and add a small diaphram pump to bring in the sea water. This way, you can pump the bowl dry. My solution to the backflow problem was to make a chamber lower than the bowl with more volume than the hose. I used a length of PVC 3" pipe. This solved the problem. By pumping the bowl (and lower chamber) dry, any backflow goes into the chamber, not the bowl. I've never liked the heads with the small pumps and joker valves.
andydroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:32   #33
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I recommend the Raritan PH II: It has been holding up very well and requires minimum maintenance.
(Parts are expensive however)

Previus owner and wife lived aboard full-time and the head has been on the boat since 1993..Works like brand new.
I have replaced all the hoses/clamps and done 1 overhaul in 9 years of ownership, but only part-time cruising.

Would get another PH II in a heartbeat.

Previous boat had a Wilcox Skipper bronze head: It worked great, but I seem to remember quite a few "overhauls"..
Old 28-11-2007, 09:38   #34

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Replacement of the jabsco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The ITT-Jabsco model 29090-2000 compact manual toilet (formerly the Par “Bydon-Boy”) is an excellent VALUE, at under $150. Manual Toilets > Manual Toilets > Toilet Waste Systems > Jabsco - ITT
Makai has two the model 29090 manual toilets. I am glad we had two. one was alwys broken waiting for (caribe) expensive parts. We had nothing but problems related to parts failures. The top of the pump failed every 3-6 months on both. First it would start leaking, then cracks would appear making it almost impossible to pump the head. Granted as live aboards we used the tolitets more in a shorter period of time.

The pump tops would fail, plastic cracks which can be replaced if found seperately otherwise the kit is fairly expensive. Some of the failures caused damage to the pump housing. In the US it was cheaper to replace the whole toliet or find the apprioriate parts. In the Caribe after all of my spares and canniblization of the second toilet we had to buy new pumps at 180USD. The units failed us just to often.

We finally replaced the manual pump with the retro fit electric replacement we had shipped in from the US (cheaper). The heads have worked flawlessly for 2 years. Even with that I am looking to change out mine sometime in the future!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 11:40   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_makai View Post
Makai has two the model 29090 manual toilets. I am glad we had two. one was alwys broken waiting for (caribe) expensive parts. We had nothing but problems related to parts failures.
My sympathies.
We acquired our Brydon Boy (now Jabsco) with the boat, as a lightly used 8 year old - then used it for full-time live-aboard cruising for the next 9 years.
The only required repair (to the head) was replacement of the pump handle, which I broke by falling on it.
I also replaced all the hoses, as they suffered from severe sclerosis (they were nearly completely plugged /w calcium deposits).

I thought it gave us pretty good service.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:55   #36

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I've used the Jabsco 29090 head since 1995. Before that I had the Jabsco with the white handle on the pump assembly, this was the model before the 29090. On my CS36 we used to cruise 10 months a year. Now on the B393 we cruise six months a year, no problems with the Jabsco except having to replace joker valves on the Beneteau every six months or so. I think this is partly a function of how the hoses on the Beneteau are led. Absolutely no other problems. About every two weeks I lubricate the pump assembly, a two minute job, just remove the big nut, take out the pump handle and shaft, clean and lube with a bit of vaseline. Works like a charm. Sorry to hear you had problems, Capt. Bil, if the pump top failed it might have been from pumping too hard. I've never had cracks in mine. Fourth season on the Beneteau. So far so good.
Old 28-11-2007, 15:16   #37

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Thanks. A working head is important and it is frustrating that we had so many problems. It is possible as the hose routing requires it to push a large column of stuff up 4 feet to the holding tank/overboard.

The electric conversion eliminated any problems. Even though it has worked flawlessly I am now afraid to trust Jabsco. Who knows that may change as we use it in the US and get comfortable with it.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:13   #38

My vote goes to Lavac, in a earlier post I had trouble wrestling with the white Anaconda, but finally got it installed, probably worth the trouble. My wife use to tease me about going somewhere to repair/rebuild the head, but it seems those days are past!

Jay
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 16:20   #39

Does anyone know of any good books on marine plumbing systems I could look up?
Old 14-12-2007, 18:37   #40

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I've used the TMC electric on a couple of boats and never heard of any problems and will be using the same again on the newie.

Heres one on ebay in the US now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TMC-12V-Electric-Marine-Toilet-Boat-Head-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ300181871336QQihZ020QQcategoryZ26 449QQcmdZViewItem

On the newie I'll have a look at this style though

TMC Marine Categories

Dave
Old 14-12-2007, 20:01   #41

Boat: Norseman 447
My vote goes for Blakes lavac, we have two of them, wouldn't trade them for anything we the same pump to pump out head to holding tank or overboard and by putting three way valve in seawater in line use it to pump out holding tank
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 19:49   #42

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
I have this on my boat:

Porta Potties Categories : Plumbing : Heads : Porta Potties
Traveler Self-Contained Toilet/Holding Tank
9 gallon
Bone color

Item #: 500258 Manufacturer: SEALAND Model #: 312371103 Shipping Weight: 49.00 Lbs. Our Price: $379.95 Status: In Stock Quantity Description 711M28 traveler self-contained toilet/holding tank : permanent mount combination manual toilet and holding tank.
Uses vessel water supply.
Flushing action and water level controlled by pedal.
Msd holding tank has 9 gallon capacity.
1-1/2" outlet to pump out or seacock.
21-1/2"h x 14-1/2"w x 19-1/2"d.

I love them!!

Nothing to clog, I suck the contents of the small holding tank into a larger one with a macerator pump. Works like a charm. A little more than $200 though and you need a good supply of H2O. Everything is a compromise on a boat....right?

Regards,

TJ
Old 16-12-2007, 19:56   #43

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Man, that is one serious throne
Old 30-12-2007, 17:22   #44

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Had 2 Raritan PH-II heads, and the bases cracked on both within a month of each other. Replaced with two Jabsco 29090's 7 years ago and they ran with a minimum of fuss. They were looking a little tired this year so I got replacements in Annapolis on sale. Three months later the porcelain bowl on one shattered all by itself on a gentle beat. Just replaced it at twice the price down in the Caribbean.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote