Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 15:39   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Housing for Watermaker Membranes

Thanx for the info from both of you
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If it's a HEM 800gpd it should only need two membranes to work. Are you sure it calls for a third membrane? Those are good prices considering the Euro. (Gotta kid in college in Austria. I know the pain)
The price he gives me for the vessels was wrong and for 300 psi.
The new price for Codeline 850 psi is € 289,- ex 21% tax. ( us 396,91)
DOW Filmtec sw30-2540 us 215,- ex 21%
All together us$1478,- incl 21%, for 2 vessels and 2 membranes.
This can come as luggage with friends. So transport and local taxes are no issue.

We will be in the south Caribe in about 5 weeks. Can i get the same there somewhere?? Are there shops where they sell this stuff??
In the line Barbados, Grenada, Trinidad, Tobago

Hi Tellie,

2 vessels is the 25/800 gp 24 hour
3 vessels is the 25/1200 "
4 vessels is the 25/1400 "
All the same machine.

There is also a 25/200 en 400 both 1 vessel from different length and diameter. So they have other membranes and maybe also other feed flow, i am not sure. But sins it's the 25 series it is possibly the same machine.

So if there will ever grow a money tree on my back ( dutch saying) then i can ad 1 or 2 vessels extra. And if i need that much water.

Sheers. And thanks for the replay's
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:27   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

So did I screw up paying Defender prices for a replacement membrane for an old PUR PowerSurvivor 35? IT came with the boat, and when I tried to fire it up for the first time water leaked from all around the pump area, with none coming through the membrane. It had been sitting in the sodium bisulphate solution for something like five years. I just assumed the membrane had to be clogged up and ordered a new one.
Sounds like I should have talked to you guys first.

Also just discovered that one of our engine rooms has a platform positioned perfectly for an engine driven pump. I might just change the way we do things althogether.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:24   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
So did I screw up paying Defender prices for a replacement membrane for an old PUR PowerSurvivor 35? IT came with the boat, and when I tried to fire it up for the first time water leaked from all around the pump area, with none coming through the membrane. It had been sitting in the sodium bisulphate solution for something like five years. I just assumed the membrane had to be clogged up and ordered a new one.
Sounds like I should have talked to you guys first.

Also just discovered that one of our engine rooms has a platform positioned perfectly for an engine driven pump. I might just change the way we do things althogether.
It sounds like you might have. WWhat you need is a pump maintenance kit. All the seals and o-rings probably dried out while it sat. A pump maintenance kit comes with all new seals and o-rings.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:26   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Yeah, I ordered the maintenance kit too. I guess it won't hurt to have a new spare membrane for this old system. I think I paid too much for it.

How long are the membranes good for when pickled? This is our first RO system, although we live on an island that gets all it's water from rain and RO.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:51   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Yeah, I ordered the maintenance kit too. I guess it won't hurt to have a new spare membrane for this old system. I think I paid too much for it.

How long are the membranes good for when pickled? This is our first RO system, although we live on an island that gets all it's water from rain and RO.
They tell me it's a year, but ours had been done for 5 years when we got it and it still produced 300 ppm water. If you have a tds meter you can always try it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:44   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Chances are a 5yr old sitting membrane is toast, so it's not all bad that you bought a new one. I wouldn't want to start my cruise with a membrane that had been sitting for 5yrs...what was the maintenance history before that..what is the real age of the membrane? On used water makers, this info is always hard to get from the preveious owner (at least honestly anyway...uggg)

The only real test to find out if a memberane is good or not is to run it. If the TDS level is below 500ppm (parts per million) as measured by a meter and the flow rate is within specs....bingo it is good. If you don't have a hand held TDS meter then BUY one! You can not go by the taste test because the level that salt will hurt your kidneys is lower than the level it will start tasting "salty". You can buy them for cheap...here is a link to one.

I've had membranes stored for just over 3 years and they worked fine...the problem is you typically have no way to know if the preveious owner really pickled the unit or...well....you know.

If RO Membranes dry out they are dead, gone, finished. The organic layer that does the actual "reverse osmosis" will crack and there is nothing you can do to clean or save the membrane. So part of the storage on a membrane must keep it moist. The other factor of membrane storage is keeping bacteria and microbes from growing out of control and destroying the membrane. "Pickling" is just a biocide or compound that kills the microbes/plankton/algae to keep biological growth from damaging the membrane, so nothing fancy there.

One CAUTION on pickling solutions.
Water makers use different pickling solutions based on their system components and although it is tempting to want to save money and not use the pickling reagent recommend by the water maker manufacturer to save costs, if you don't know what you are doing the wrong pickling reagent CAN eat Hp pump seals and parts! So that savings in pickling reagent will cost you big time in a pump rebuild.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 13:49   #23

Boat: Westerly Discus 33

shame you didn-t asked me for vessels and membranes before you left Europe

Have a good journey

Rainer

Startseite - watermakers Webseite!
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:02   #24

Hi Rainer.

I respond to your private message. I'ts not to late. Thanks.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 21:51   #25
ybs

I wonder, if here is anybody who can answer that:
The powersurvivor 80 (output 13l/h) has 2 membranes which are quite expensive and not that long lasting because in the system is no reverse flushing.
I want to replace the 2 small membranes (1.7'') and use a new pressure vessel with only one membrane 2.5''x21''. Is there someone who can explain this will work or not?
ybs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker