Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 16:14   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Hot Water options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Maybe an ambiguous pronoun, Bill, but I think it's the propane water heaters that are seen as unsafe. Too bad. We had one on our Nonsuch, and it was very convenient.
Thanks, I thought you were commenting on the previous post concerning solar water heaters. Rereading it I see what you meant. My bad
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 16:14   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what is not approved by most insurance companies? Are you saying that solar thermal water heaters will cause you to loose your boat insurance? Or were you referring to 12V heating elements? If you were refering to Solar thermal water heaters could you please refer us to the source of your information. Or perhaps you were referring to home made Solar thermal water heaters. Since I am considering putting one on my boat I would appreciate the information.
I think you missed "propane instant water heater". We have had one on our boat for years without problems, but must surveyors would find them unsafe.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 16:53   #18

Boat: Maine Cat 30

I have an instant propane water heater and it is a dream.... For safety I installed a propane detection system with multiple sensors and wired a relay to it so that the hot water heater will only turn on when the gas valve (controlled by the detection system) is on. The only downside is that you really can chew through a water tank cause you don't run out, and that hot water shower feels good!!!
JRMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLandlocked View Post
Heard good things about this solar shower
Pump-up Solar Shower
We've had that one for two years; it works well. Every six months or so you need to tear it apart and clean everything. We just bought all the replacement parts except for the tank itself.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:11   #20

Boat: csy 37

what rebel heart says.

we've had our duckworks sprayer for three years now. the admiral actually likes it - i thought she'd mutiny when i took out our old raritan water heater. also have a solar shower as backup but have yet to actually use it.

i liked the duckworks so much i built my own from a garden sprayer. only holds one gallon (duckworks holds two) so it's easier to conserve water.

and like rebel heart says, you can half fill it with tap water and then pour in some hot water from the teapot on cold days...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:35   #21

Boat: PT-11

Do you have a generator? We use AC from shore or generator. Our trick was getting it to use 120 or 220.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:52   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
We have used a 1 gallon garden sprayer for the last two years. It was cheap, gets hot in the sun and saves water.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:23   #23

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has installed a heliatos solar water heater on their boat.

At 11lbs, 2'x2' and 6 gallons, in theory it sounds like an almost perfect solution.

I'm curious if someone has managed to plumb it into the hot water line and how they went about doing it.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:44   #24

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Hot Water Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has installed a heliatos solar water heater on their boat.

At 11lbs, 2'x2' and 6 gallons, in theory it sounds like an almost perfect solution.

I'm curious if someone has managed to plumb it into the hot water line and how they went about doing it.
Thanks for the post. This looks very interesting. Hopefully someone has tried it and will post.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water