Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 07:50   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Holding tank evacuation system

We needed a holding tank pump out system as our marina has a septic system for us to dump into but no pump out system . So we built a system that we have named it the Honorary S**t Sucker 1000. We originally looked at the Todd system and decided we could build something much cheaper than $600. The first plan was to use a macerator pump but we were worried about lift with the dock layout we have, plus the challenge of then building a pump out for when we went to dump into the sewer.

So parts list was:
Food grade 30 gallon PE barrel $20 on craigslist (he was out of non food grade so had to pay $5 more than non food)
Whale Mark V Waste Pump Bulkhead Mount $136.99 from Defender
Unisource 1500 Clear PVC Suction/Discharge Hose Assembly, 1-1/2" Aluminum Cam And Groove Connection, 29.8" Hg Vacuum Rating 70 PSI Maximum Pressure, 25' Length, 1-1/2" ID - $77.13 from Amazon
2" -> 1 1/2" NPT reducer - $7.99 from Tractor Supply
2x 1 1/2" Quick Connect Coupler - Locking from Tractor Supply - $24
2x 1 1/2" Quick Connect Male NPT - $10
Various pluming fittings and valve from Home Depot - $25
Hand Truck - $40
= ~$350 after I return the unused parts to TS and HD

I also ordered a Edson universal suction nozzle with splash guard to use on a marina neighbors boat as he doesn't have an adapter that fits his deck fitting.

We have an electric toilet with macerator so no need to macerate the waste. We used the hose with our matching quick connects so it can be spun around and put on the other bung hole with a piece of pvc pipe or hose dropped in for pump out into sewer.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 08:54   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: Holding tank evacuation system

Nice setup!

I've been thinking about something similar, as we keep our boat at our waterfront home. There are no really convenient pumpout facilities, and we very seldom need to visit a marina for fuel.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 10:33   #3

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Re: Holding tank evacuation system

Also forgot to mention.....the barrel is not dirty from holding tank pump out. The dirt is from storage and was on it when I purchased it.

The guy that I own the boat in a partnership with is going to pump out the tank today or tomorrow with it. I have a feeling I'll be buying him a beer for this one if anything goes wrong.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank